Author Topic: YZ-C Monoshock rebuild?  (Read 3656 times)

IT400C

YZ-C Monoshock rebuild?
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:41 am »
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone in the Brisbane area that rebuilds C model monoshocks?  Or for that matter, is it something that I could do?  I've checked out the parts diagrams, and apart from the unknown of releasing the Nitrogen (and refilling it afterwards), it doesn't look too technical.

But I don't know if there are any little tricks/pittfalls I should be careful of...

Thanks

Tony

lms6201

Re: YZ-C Monoshock rebuild?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 06:42:03 am »
tony , get rad motorbike shock repairs to do it , should find him in ph book

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:38:22 pm »
A fine hypodermic syringe is the tool for getting the gas back it (obviously with the attachment to connect it to a regulated nitrogen bottle). Alternatively, its fairly easy to buy a high pressure schrader (normal tyre type) valve and modify the shock to accept it.

Same syringe can be used to empty the gas out, or you can simply slowly unscrew the top of the diaphragm cover. Most of the time, there's no gas left in them anyhow.

As the parts book suggests, its all pretty straight foward. They're harder to bleed than most shocks, but a little patience will prevent it being a drama. Also, accept that you'll make a mess when it goes back together.

Three likely pitfalls:
1. Rust on the shaft under the felt top seal.
2. Torn/split gas-oil seperator diaphragm. Have been told that they're very hard to find new.
3. You local bike shop won't be able to put enough pressure into it. The gas pressures were REALLY high in these old shocks, as the gas was intended to provide some of the spring effect. Walter/YSS can supply stiffer springs, allowing you to drop the gas pressure down to modern levels.

I am looking at converting my YZ125X to a modern valve piston, but it looks like being a BIG job.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 06:46:49 pm »
2. Torn/split gas-oil seperator diaphragm. Have been told that they're very hard to find new.

I wouldnt be surprised if a bladder from a modern shock could be made to fit as there is certainly lots out there when i was looking for some bladders a while back, but if not then you can just convert it to a floating piston to get you out of trouble.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 06:50:22 pm »
Nah, the screw-up with the B & C model monoshocks is that the diaphragm is a big diameter thing - about 110mm, inside a bulbous lump on the end of the shock.

I've recently learned that the early (works) monoshocks were modified Citroen car suspension. I wouldn't bet money on it, but it might be possible that the diaphragm is the same as a Citroen one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 06:52:04 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:52:14 pm »
well that is big hey!
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 08:00:08 pm »
We fitted a schrader valve to the said bulbous lump on my YZB,  whack as much pressure as you want,  ;)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 08:32:45 pm »
you're right about the pressures - my YZB has 420psi as standard.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:32:48 pm »

I wouldnt be surprised if a bladder from a modern shock could be made to fit as there is certainly lots out there when i was looking for some bladders a while back, but if not then you can just convert it to a floating piston to get you out of trouble.

Sound slike you are unfamiliar with the first YZ monoshocks there Leith.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:48:05 pm »
Nah, the screw-up with the B & C model monoshocks is that the diaphragm is a big diameter thing - about 110mm, inside a bulbous lump on the end of the shock.

I've recently learned that the early (works) monoshocks were modified Citroen car suspension. I wouldn't bet money on it, but it might be possible that the diaphragm is the same as a Citroen one.

Yes I heard that too.Thats what Lucien Tilkins used of the first CZ monoshock
http://www.mxworksbike.com/Tilkens_mono.htm