Author Topic: XT500 mikuni carby  (Read 1858 times)

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
XT500 mikuni carby
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:12 pm »
I'm thinking about putting a VM36mm mikuni on my standard XT500. Has anyone got any jetting and slide specs I could start with, and would it do much for the performance?

Thoughts appreciated
pmc57

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: XT500 mikuni carby
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:28:51 pm »
I'll dig out my specs tomorrow. On a std motor I wouldn't bother with a 36 or 38 as they don't need that much air and bottom end performance can suffer. I'm going to try a std 34 on mine in place of the 36 when I get a chance, one day  ::)

The 36 also has a larger inlet bell so the air cleaner won't fit
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:56:43 pm »
.......this will save me starting a new post........what would you reccomend for a basically standard XT500 for vinduro use?? (see "respray " in the husqvarna threads )

Roger

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 06:50:18 pm »
I'm only asking because I have a spare 36mm carby. I've seen pics of XT's or TT's with 36 or 38mm mikuni's on them and wondered if there's a performance bonus by by using not only a bigger carb but also a mikuni round slide style carb.
Also only need one throttle cable instead of a push pull style ha ha

I'm too keen to hear on waht people would recommend for a std 500

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:29 pm »
To get a standard motor running a bit better I'd use the std carb, a K&N filter element, remove the snorkels from the top of the airbox and fit a better pipe.
The carb will need some rejetting but the difference in performance will be quite noticable.
This way the filter is still protected for Vinduro type riding.

You can go further and remove the airbox and fit a pod type filter but you still need an airbox to protect the filter properly.

You can gain a bit more bottom end by removing one spring off the advance/retard mechanism for the points. This brings the ignitiion advance in a bit sooner.

hth

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was