Author Topic: memories  (Read 20723 times)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: memories
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 09:03:19 pm »
That's the year that I went with Andrew,Grant & Sandy we flew over there in a light plane from Moorabbin airport with 4 YZ465's in the back of the plane,we stayed with Spike and Aileen when we were in Smythton ? I raced 4 races there and got 4 puncture's had great fun though after the races they took us down to the west coast? where they had a shack and we took our YZ's on the beach there and had another great time

I was talking with Andrew about that trip down the beach the other day at the Sunny Corner trail bike ride. Still remember seeing Grant Cramer on the inside line down that main straight on the tires...... smoothest rider I remember seeing at the time... Do you remember a local rider called Neville Daws? He was mad...... out of shape most of time... he used to create havic for as long as he could with you mainlanders and after he was dropped he would wait for you to lap him and do it all over again. Dont think you guys were to impressed... ;)

Unfortunalty Neville was killed in car accident in Stanley I think it was a couple of years later, always remember him though. RIP

Scott

Scott,

I dont remember him I spent too much time fixing punctures,the trip down the beach was probably the funniest couple of days I have ever had,

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 09:09:34 pm »

I dont remember him I spent too much time fixing punctures,the trip down the beach was probably the funniest couple of days I have ever had,

Andrew fixing his own tire punctures!!!! Your have got to be kidding.. Once a pro MXer always a Pro Mxer  ;D
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 09:11:24 pm »

I was talking with Andrew about that trip down the beach the other day at the Sunny Corner trail bike ride. Still remember seeing Grant Cramer on the inside line down that main straight on the tires...... smoothest rider I remember seeing at the time... Do you remember a local rider called Neville Daws? He was mad...... out of shape most of time... he used to create havic for as long as he could with you mainlanders and after he was dropped he would wait for you to lap him and do it all over again. Dont think you guys were to impressed... ;)

Unfortunalty Neville was killed in car accident in Stanley I think it was a couple of years later, always remember him though. RIP

Scott
[/quote]

Scott,

[/quote]
I dont think that Nev rode in 80 or 81 (might be wrong) he had an RM400in 79.My mate showed me the bridge that Nev and his mates  missed just the other side of Stanley. It would have been 80 or 81 that he was killed.I reckon.Ross might know.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »
I dont think that Nev rode in 80 or 81 (might be wrong) he had an RM400in 79.My mate showed me the bridge that Nev and his mates  missed just the other side of Stanley. It would have been 80 or 81 that he was killed.I reckon.Ross might know.

Yeah must have been 79, Think he rode a 400C ... he was a Suzuki man through and through.

Remember being with him one morning (fricken freeezing) over that Easter, he had old ute of some sort.... Revved it flat out from cold to get the heater working. Thought the utes motor would blow before we got warm.. Like I said .....Mad..... Good memories
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

monaro308

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2009, 10:28:51 pm »
Here are some more from the 2 programs

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2009, 11:45:09 pm »
Neville was a race mate of mine and we were very close with his family also - was absolutely devastated when I was told of the crash.  Yep he was one of those riders who couldn't look after a bike but could ride the wheels off it.  He told me a funny story one day whereby in the "old" days he was riding his MX bike in town - cops started chasing him and being a small town then they knew who it was.  He did a short cut home and "threw" the bike on the ground all hot and stinky and smoking.  Cops pulled up couple of minutes later and here's Nev sitting on the front step going "how can I help you" with a look of innocence on his face  ;D  Yep - Suzuki through and through.  ANother guy very similar to him also from that era and Suzuki mounted was Peter Kay - does that ring a bell?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 07:02:44 am »
ANother guy very similar to him also from that era and Suzuki mounted was Peter Kay - does that ring a bell?

Peter Kay... Absolutley remember the name did not know him as well.... He was more Kevin Roach, Robby Scollier??, Chris Graetz, Shane Woods, Murray Seabrook vintage

There also was a great guy from Stanely Peter McKay who worked in the mines as a maintenence electrician, he rode Honda's very well. He and I had the first 78 CR250R's in Tassie kitted with fox shocks. Ive got a couple of old photos from Symmons plains if I can work out how to post them I will put them up.
YZ125E, RM250T

Mainline "classic"

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 12:31:55 pm »
thanks for posting up program
its good too see all the names
i knew from back then

cheers rusty ;D  number 89 ;)
follow me to first turn

monaro308

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 02:30:50 pm »
No problems RW ;) its good to remember the names in a great era of MX.
The other program i still have was the Motocross International meeting later in the year at Broadford in '84.
I'll post them up later tonight......been up since saturday morning with the passing of my best friends 5 y/old son @ 1AM this morning with a brain tumour :'( :'( :'( :'(
Life sucks....the last 6 months i've had my dad,my beautiful cat,my sisters father inlaw and now this.....
I just want this year to be over and done with.

cheers....Mario

R.I.P Marcus  :'(

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 05:26:53 pm »
Mario - thats horrible to hear - sorry to all.

1974 Yamaha YZ360B

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 05:34:05 pm »
Slawesy - we must know each other.  Peter McKay and Bentley Omant were the number 1 and 2 guys in Tassie (used to swap in various classes).  Peter and I rode for Lloyd Campbell Honda (no relation ;D) in Burnie = Peter was A Grade and I only ever made B grade.  We had some of the first 78 Red Devils - still have photos also but at home.  Pete caused a bit of a stir because Honda didn't have an open class bike then he rode a Suzuki 400!!!!  He was seriously quick.  Yep Shane Woods, Robbie Scollier and Kevin Roach were all just finishing as I started (Kevin married one of the Saville girls) and Peter Kay had a couple of years left and ended up being sponsored by John Humphries Motorcycles.  You would also know Craig Jones then - number #64?

They were awesome times for me - I rode from 78 to 82 - 78 CR250, 80 CR250 (and then Mugen kitted) and then finished with an 82 RM250 - all with the Circular Head Motorcycle club.  ;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »
news paper clip from the Advocate 1981

All Things 414

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 07:25:11 pm »
Hey. Who's the hippie? Were you the Aussie equivilent of Brad Lackey Brent?....... :-X

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »

Left to right. let me guess.

Tommy Chong, ?,  Keanu reeves, Paul Mc Cartney

am i close ????????
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 07:31:53 pm »
Hey. Who's the hippie? Were you the Aussie equivilent of Brad Lackey Brent?....... :-X

Brad Lackey was a pretender compared to me.I was the real McCOY man.

Everyone has and Industry Motor Bike jacket except me.I got my Crystal Cylinders surfie cheater on.

Im waiting for Hoony and the boys to jump in now. Here we go :D