Author Topic: Jason Crump to win 3rd world title  (Read 19870 times)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Jason Crump to win 3rd world title
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »
feisty  lot them guys, ;D, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Curly3

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 08:05:57 pm »
Boyce'y was never backward in coming forward and he didn't miss him.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 06:20:11 pm »
Time to go fishing....It was an Italian disaster for Australian speedway bike superstar Jason Crump, earning just seven points at the FIM Nice Italian Speedway Grand Prix, ending his 2010 title dreams.
Engine failure plagued the three-time world champion’s hopes of back-to-back titles, with rival Tomasz Gollob confirmed as 2010 Speedway Grand Prix series winner.

Heading into the second last event of the season, Crump needed a podium finish to ensure the series went down to the final round in Poland, but the Aussie could not deliver, finishing the event with a season-low seven championship points.

“It just wasn’t a good day,’’ he said.
“The bottom line is I rode badly and didn’t do much right.
“The track wasn’t good, but we adapted and got the setup right.”

Just when Crump thought the setup was right the weather gods chimed in, throwing a spanner in the works.

“Then it rained and it looked like it was going to be soft, but it was actually quite hard,’’ he said.

“I made all the wrong choices at the wrong times.’’

Despite the disappointment of missing out on his fourth speedway crown, Crump will be keen to finish the season on a high note, as he looks to continue his amazing streak of nine consecutive top-three series finishes.

This model of consistency has seen Crump earn a season-ending podium finish every year since 2001.

The final round of the 2010 Speedway Grand Prix season takes place in Poland, starting October 9.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 09:55:22 pm »
“I made all the wrong choices at the wrong times.’’   An honest assessment of your own performances, refreshing to hear that from a true World Championship Title winner  Hey. :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »
Jeez I'll say. Usually it's all everyone else's fault (btw not sure just how much setup there can be on a chassis with no suspension !) but he's fessed up this time. Crump does have his off nights from time to time but he's also ridden some of the most fearsome first laps you'll ever see... :o
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 10:10:39 pm »
there is a lot more to set up on a gp speedway bike than you classic mxer
what engine sprocket
what clutch size to use
how much compresion in the engine they can run up to 22:1 comp
what drive sprockets front and back
temp of clutch yes there have in pits clutch coolers
useal tire presiures
best seat and foot peg placement for drive
ect ect

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 11:24:16 pm »
Not Jason..but home news.....North Queensland Solo Star To Ride In Gillman Classic Meeting

Posted: Wednesday, 6th October, 2010 : 9:46 AM - - 583 Reads

Share| 
One of North Queensland's best ever Solo riders, Merv Janke, is the latest star rider to nominate for the Gillman Classic Championships meeting to be held on Saturday night, 30 October.

Janke started riding in Townsville as a teenager and in 1977, at age 20, travelled to the UK where he joined Scottish team Coatbridge. He stayed with the "Tigers", who relocated to Glasgow, until 1979, when he also "doubled-up" with Halifax in the first division. He went full-time with Halifax in 1980, but missed the 1981 season, before returning for a final season in 1972 when he averaged 6.39 from 20 matches.

He continued to ride in Australia where even a broken back suffered at Townsville in 1988 failed to curb his enthusiasm, and he was one of the very best riders in the Queensland State League in the early 1990s when he regularly scored maximum points.

Janke is being sponsored by Bill's Bits & Bikes and will compete in the two valve and four valve Solo classes.

As well as Janke a number of other interstate riders are amongst the nominations received so far, including fellow Townsville rider Roy Stout, who has won the 2 valve class for the past three years. Last year's placegetters Kevin Webb, the spectacular Western Australian rider, and Mark Mitchell will also ride, as will another past placegetter, Rick Smith.

Webb's fellow WA riders Barry Kennington and Jim Phillips are also returning to compete in the JAP/ESO class for riders over 50, where they will be up against defending champion Jeff Fisher, regular placegetter Ken Carratt from the A.C.T., and former Rowley Park rider Bruce Smith.

Dave Wilkinson, from NSW, is Janke's main opposition in the Evolution (4 valve) class at the moment with nominations down on last year's numbers and only a few days to go before nominations close.

Riders are reminded nominations for the event close with the last mail on 4 October 2010, and late nominations will not be accepted.

The Supp Regs and Nomination Form can be found on the Gillman Speedway website on the Nominations page. http://www.gillmanspeedway.com/
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »
Newly-crowned world champion Tomasz Gollob hopes the FIM Speedway Grand Prix series gold medal stays in Poland “for a while now” after collecting the sport’s biggest prize in Bydgoszcz on Saturday night.

The 39-year-old went into the 2010 FIM Bydgoszcz SGP of Poland with the title guaranteed after triumphing in Terenzano on September 25. This was fortunate for the Gorzow and Vastervik star, as he suffered a broken ankle in a motocross crash on Wednesday.

After extensive medical treatment, he was determined to race in his home town and stormed to victory in heat two. But Gollob’s engine seized in his second outing, before he pulled up in his third as the pain got the better of him and forced him to withdraw from the meeting.

He returned to the rostrum to milk the sold-out, 20,000-plus Polonia Stadium crowd’s applause and collect the gold medal he has been chasing for over two decades.

His fellow countryman Jaroslaw Hampel completed a special night for Polish speedway by beating former world champion Jason Crump to the silver medal.

The meeting was won by Bydgoszcz rider Andreas Jonsson, who passed British champion Chris Harris to win the gold, while wild card Janusz Kolodziej reached his second final in as many SGP outings and picked up the bronze. Rune Holta finished fourth in the final to secure fourth overall in the standings.

But the biggest Polish smile belonged to Gollob. Despite being barely able to stand, he was delighted to take his place atop the SGP series rostrum. It may have been 37 years since Poland last crowned a world champion, but Gollob hopes his country will not have to wait so long next time.

“I have to admit it has been a hard season. It has been very, very hard. Congratulations to Crumpie and Jarek for the last year," Gollob said.

"They have very much put me under pressure over the 11 meetings we’ve had together.
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2010, 07:33:54 pm »
The young blokes coming home to Oz,,If you catch him out on a good swell,let him know he's a bloody great Aussie Hero  :P  8)

As the rain and cold begin to blanket the UK and Europe, one of many Australian sports people are just weeks away from boarding a plane back to the sunny warm shores of our Great Southern Land.

One such aussie hero is Chris Holder.

By the time this article hits the streets, Chris' overseas campaign will be done for 2010.

It would be an understatement to say that Chris has had a busy year. Riding for 3 teams in 3 countries and competing in his first year in the SGP series, Chris has learnt alot.

"Yeah its been a massive year for sure. I have struggled a little this past couple of months. It's a big learning curve and I believe that I will be much better for it next year". says Chris.

You have to put into perspective what an athlete like Chris does on a weekly basis. He is not only a great speedway rider but he is his own manager and does all the business dealings and contract negotiations for himself. Flying between three countries consistently as he rides for Poole in the UK, Lejonen in Sweden and Torun in Poland and then several countries for the SGP rounds.

It's really no wonder why an athlete like Chris can get tired and drained from this kind of relentless schedule. It's not all plane flights either. Often there are drives of up to 14 hours to get to the next event, with only the thin foam mattress to keep you off the cold steel of the team van. On many occasions throughout his international campaign Chris wouldn't see his own place for weeks on end. So you can imagine how difficult it would be to stay on top of your health and fitness as well as be totally switched on and ride in one of the worlds most dynamic and hectic bike sports on earth.

"I'm thinking I may do things a little differently next year. Mainly in the way I handle the workload. Some of the guys race in Europe only and not the UK, this means they have up to 40 meeting less than I normally have. So I think I need to manage all my commitments in Europe better". Chris says.

With a smarter race schedule, Chris will be a lot fresher physically and mentally for the 2011 SGP series.

Chris continues, "I learnt a lot this year about that series [SGP]. Some of the tracks were my weak link and I know what to do to correct that for next year. It's a matter of riding better for the conditions. Some of the tracks were real slick. The guys I'm racing like Hancock and Golob have the experience to do this. So I will be working on being more consistent and stronger on the tracks that I typically find challenging".

Chris said that he has been happy with the bikes that he was running overseas this year. The equipment was definitely up to the challenge and Chris plans to keep it the same next year.

At this point I have to say that watching the final round of the SGP series was literally nail bitting for me personally. Sitting inside the top eight with a good buffer of points for a large percentage of the series, Chris found it difficult to gain a good haul of points in the last two rounds in particular. With two rivals making the final and fast gaining points on Chris, it was a tense 4 laps to see if Chris would make the automatic qualifying top eight or not.

Chris tells: "Well yeah it was pretty intense to make the top eight in the end by just one point. I was thinking whatever happens, happens. Just quietly I was really relieved". [laughs]

"Im really looking forward to taking some time off back home in Oz, recharge the batteries and get ready for the Australian titles".

Chris along with his Australian sponsors, Castrol, Unifilter and Rampant Clothing will be putting on a riders and media day in the new year, where Chris will talk about riding techniques, setups and life as a rider overseas. There will also be a master class coaching element to the day where Chris will actually show these techniques and help juniors and seniors hone their skills on a speedway bike. So stay tuned for dates and availability coming up later this year.

A keen surfer, when the waves are about, Chris will be looking forward to going out for a wave with his dad as soon as he gets back. Chris's dad Mick says: "Yeah it will be great to have both Chris and James back home, it never gets any easier seeing them off, so we will be real happy to have them back. I'll give em a week on the lounge then they can come to work with me". [laughs]

If you haven't witnessed a speedway event yet, you need to. A lot of the big names are heading back to Australia for the National titles. Also on show will be the up and coming riders trying to showcase their talents against their fellow countrymen. So it will be a great series no question.
Best is in the West !!

Curly3

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:14 pm »
Good post Alison, a great insight into the life of an up & coming Speedway rider. For those who haven't ridden on the ovals it might sound a bit strange that you could struggle on different tracks. How hard could it be? Go out of the start & turn left. Given that it is a sprint, you don't have to be off the pace by much and forget it. Interesting that there was no mention of Crumpy at all, I hope there is no bad blood there, it's hard enough but to do it all on your own is near impossible.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2010, 10:41:13 pm »
you don't have to be off the pace by much and forget it.

We have a vmx rider who did the slidz for a few years and to watch him go into the corners now is different to say the least  ;D really good rider and still no fear at over 55- mix that with a vmx sidecar pilot and its  :o  :o  :o
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 01:20:30 am »
Not Jason..but home news.....North Queensland Solo Star To Ride In Gillman Classic Meeting

Posted: Wednesday, 6th October, 2010 : 9:46 AM - - 583 Reads

Share| 
One of North Queensland's best ever Solo riders, Merv Janke, is the latest star rider to nominate for the Gillman Classic Championships meeting to be held on Saturday night, 30 October.

Janke started riding in Townsville as a teenager and in 1977, at age 20, travelled to the UK where he joined Scottish team Coatbridge. He stayed with the "Tigers", who relocated to Glasgow, until 1979, when he also "doubled-up" with Halifax in the first division. He went full-time with Halifax in 1980, but missed the 1981 season, before returning for a final season in 1972 when he averaged 6.39 from 20 matches.

He continued to ride in Australia where even a broken back suffered at Townsville in 1988 failed to curb his enthusiasm, and he was one of the very best riders in the Queensland State League in the early 1990s when he regularly scored maximum points.

Janke is being sponsored by Bill's Bits & Bikes and will compete in the two valve and four valve Solo classes.

As well as Janke a number of other interstate riders are amongst the nominations received so far, including fellow Townsville rider Roy Stout, who has won the 2 valve class for the past three years. Last year's placegetters Kevin Webb, the spectacular Western Australian rider, and Mark Mitchell will also ride, as will another past placegetter, Rick Smith.

Webb's fellow WA riders Barry Kennington and Jim Phillips are also returning to compete in the JAP/ESO class for riders over 50, where they will be up against defending champion Jeff Fisher, regular placegetter Ken Carratt from the A.C.T., and former Rowley Park rider Bruce Smith.

Dave Wilkinson, from NSW, is Janke's main opposition in the Evolution (4 valve) class at the moment with nominations down on last year's numbers and only a few days to go before nominations close.

Riders are reminded nominations for the event close with the last mail on 4 October 2010, and late nominations will not be accepted.

The Supp Regs and Nomination Form can be found on the Gillman Speedway website on the Nominations page. http://www.gillmanspeedway.com/

Rode a 2 valve at the practrice tonight, trying to get my head around a slider before Sat night, although not the 4 valve im  riding, went with ROy boy and Jeff fisher and got to use his old betsie for 4 rounds.  Lotsa old chaps racing on Sat night, Roy will be hard to beat on the 2 valve, he was quick.  But im shitting myself as i saw the 4 vavle guys spin a few laps and i didint see one button off. Im just hoping i dont get lapped.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2010, 07:10:58 am »
Get your tearoffs ready, you might need em.
Best of luck.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re:darcy ward v chris holder
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:38 pm »
Queenslander Darcy Ward will be defending his 2009 title at Kuri Kiri on 11 December.

Ward, the newly crowned FIM Rookie of the Year, is the two time winner of the World Under 21 Title and Australian Under 21 Champion. He will be battling it out with NSW's Chris Holder, winner of this year's British GP and twice Australian Champion.

Other international riders include Richard Sweetman, who rode for the Coventry Bees, winner of this year's Elite League Championship, Sam Masters and James Holder who rode for Somerset, Alex Davies and Todd Kurtz (Newport), Micky Dyer (Dudley Heathens) Kozza Smith (Kings Lynn) Jay Herne (Somerset, Bournemouth Buccaneers), Taylor Poole (Stoke).

There are also two visiting riders from Victoria, Cory Gathercole (Somerset) and Jake Anderson (Dudley Heathens). Local riders are made up of Daine Stevens, Dane Cartwright, Mason Campton, Tim Heffernan, Bryce Johnston, Joey Ringwood, Michael Penfold, Tom Armstrong, Nick Rowe, Rohan Tungate, Rick Wallace, Daniel Begley and Simon Allen.

As well as the title meeting we are running support classes for solos and junior 125's. Prior to the main meeting we are running a qualifier with racing due to start at 12.30pm.

The main meeting will start at 6pm. (Practice at 5pm)

The track is located on Dickson Road, Loxford, via Kurri Kurri.
Best is in the West !!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 12:32:19 pm »
whoo hoo!,Chris Holder done good! ;D,good crowd,good track,good vibes, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!