Author Topic: HAVE A LOOK AT THE MELB TRADEING POST ONLINE FOR MAICOS  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HAVE A LOOK AT THE MELB TRADEING POST ONLINE FOR MAICOS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:17:47 pm »
That bike looks like an '80 Mega 1 MC250 with Mega 2 sidepanels to me .To use the words of Darryl Kerrigan ,tell him he's dreaming.

magoo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:22:36 pm »
Onya Bull, your bike winning the VMX Magazine Evo 250 shootout has pushed the price of the old Maicos through the roof. This could be your retirement fund here.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:23:21 pm »
 I WAS JUST LOOKING AT IT AND THINKING THE SAME THING .
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 07:25:59 pm by paul »

maicopunk

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 09:37:02 am »
Yeah, definately a 1980...  non reed valve motor and you can see the bolt hole for the 1980 style side covers...  he seems proud of the nice fork wipers though.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:39:04 am »
yep he on some type of chemical   :o

firko

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:50:42 am »
I can read this one like a book........ He's been lurking both here and on the Maico forum and spotted that Jack, our Philipino congressman friend is prepared to pay top dollar for the 'right bike'. Knowing that his 80 model 250 still has the original fork wipers and the Made in Germany sticker on the triple clamp and is therefore 'totally original' our seller figured the $10000 is a good honest price for such a rare piece of teutonic engineering. If an '81 is worth $12000 his even older '80 model 250 has to be a steal at 10k he surmises.

The flaws in the equation are...It's a 250, it's an inferior '80 Mega 1 that were among Maicos worst ever models, it's not all that cherry, it's got a Mikuni which are crap on Maicos. Going by the California off road rego sticker under the rear fender on the airbox, he probably bought it off eBay for '81 style money, paid too much to import it and is now trying to recoup the money he put out  after discovering that 250 Maicos are not 490s and are a little ordinary in the oomph department (sorry Ribbo).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 11:21:10 am by firko »

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:06:12 pm »
I have been watching the bikes he has been selling for a while. He obviously dosen't know his vintage bikes and what they're worth. Just like the spider he has for sale.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 07:29:05 pm »
i could nt help my self i rang him to get the story  its still in the us  and i think he thinks is the real deal told me how maico change the side cover designs around that time. which i said was news to me   :oplus he said hes had lotsa  interest in the bike and i said good luck with the sale , AND  i hope the buyer is happy
PS DO YOU KNOW THE ENGINE NUMBER OR FRAME NUMBER  NO  WAS THE ANSWER
MMMMMMMMMMM 

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 12:04:37 pm »

On Ya Pauly,

It would have been fun ringing Mr Dudey and hearing him not being able to supply the frame number as it must have been ground off at the same time the rear shock gas canister supports were so expertly??? carved off the rear down tubes. Can't understand why they didn't hack off half of the '80 sidecover mounts at the same time.

It's an 80 alright - right down to the non reed engine, '80 - black air box etc etc but at least he washed it and I agree it's good to see he is proud of the front fork dust wipers, lol.

What ever chemicals he's on - I'll take some and imagine all my Maico's are fully restored instead of sitting all around the workshop in bits!

I'm with you Brendan, Tell him he's dreamin'

See you at the back of the pack come '08 and by the way Paul my annual leave has just started and the race is on, lol !!!  ;D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 12:19:51 pm »
dave im just waiting for my friend to fly in this week from the uk with the new plastics  ! ;D ;D ;D IWILL SEND YOU A PIC TO SEE WHAT YOU THINK   :P :P :P PS THE POSTAGE WAS A KILLER SO I HAD TO WAIT FOR SOME ONE TO FLY OVER FOR A HOLIDAY  AND BRING THEM WITH THEM