Author Topic: Saving Barrabool  (Read 3357 times)

All Things 414

Saving Barrabool
« on: March 24, 2008, 05:50:26 pm »
Just finished cleaning up after a great ride at Barrabool yesterday (thank God it's cooled down a little!) and I was reflecting how good this track is on a Vintage bike or modern and how friendly the club is in general. They're still a long way from being out of the woods with saving the track so to anyone who's ever ridden there or watched a great Ociana meeting or any other meeting for that fact...
BUY A TILE NOW
Especially any of you Viper people who get on here.
C'mon 110 bucks isn't a lot when you think about what you shell out on your bikes and your name will be be up on the wall for your Great Grand Kids to admire when they're racing in the Pre 2065 class in a few years ensuring the great tradition.
Go the extra length and become a Sporting Motorcycle Club Member and have a grouse track to practice on most weekends
Go to
http://www.bigpicturewall.com/MDW_Main.aspx

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Saving Barrabool
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:56 pm »
Hey 414 while your there could you give tile 674 a clean for me please  :)  Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

All Things 414

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:40:21 pm »
Ok Darcy. Hell, I don't even know my tile No however it is the last one on the wall. Here it is. No 7912. We're nearly neighbors! ;D

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:14:32 am »
My One is #436 just up from darcy . I'm lookin forward to going there with viper this year again .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

All Things 414

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:18:15 pm »
You're a good lad Andrew. Barrabool will be good to you....... :)

gator

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »
Signed  up today 414 tile is#76 . :)

All Things 414

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 09:41:01 pm »
Good lad! ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 09:51:28 pm »
$1 million has been set aside in the State Budget to help retain Geelong’s McAdam Park as a community recreational and motorcycling facility, State Member for South Barwon, Michael Crutchfield announced today.

McAdam Park is currently owned by the family of the late Clive McAdam, who have indicated their wish to sell the site.

It is now the only remaining off-road motorcycle facility in the Surf Coast and Geelong region. Mr Crutchfield said the Sporting Motor Cycle Club - founded in 1932 - had been operating at McAdam Park since 1963.

“The Barwon Recreational Motorcycling Council has been instrumental in helping to source the funds required to ensure the Park remains a hub for motorcycle clubs in the region, and I encourage them to continue this good work as it is an important part of the overall fundraising strategy ” Mr Crutchfield said.

“McAdam Park is already widely renowned as a motorcycling facility both here in Australia and internationally and the Victorian Government is happy to put a million dollars on the table to ensure it stays that way.

“I encourage other levels of government and the motorcycle industry to give serious consideration to also investing in the acquisition of this important regional sporting facility,” he said.

Chairman of the Barwon Recreational Motorcycling Council, Peter Lindeman, said “This announcement today is vital to help ensure that the Geelong and Surf Coast regions continue to have this State significant motorcycling complex that could also provide a multi use facility for other community groups.”

The Sporting Motor Cycle Club is a volunteer based organisation which has been responsible for educating thousands of young people in Geelong about rules, regulations and safety in relation to riding motorbikes.

Mr Crutchfield said McAdam Park already hosted international, national and state motorcycling events, which help to deliver significant economic benefits to the Surf Coast and Geelong region. “Earlier this year, McAdam Park welcomed competitors in the Motocross and Mototrials events as part of the Australian Masters Games,” Mr Crutchfield said.

“The facility also hosts some terrific community events such as the inaugural ‘Back to Barrabool’ social event coming up on the weekend of May 23/24.

“Geelong Motocross Club also jointly uses the facility providing a usable and safe environment for their club members, following the City of Greater Geelong decision to close their former Breakwater facilities.

“As well as a venue for major and community events, McAdam Park also offers new or underage motorcycle riders with a safe place to enjoy the sport they love.

“McAdam Park also plays an important role in helping these riders to gain the necessary skills associated with riding recreational motorcycles in a safe and socially responsible way.

Sporting Motor Cycle Club coordinator for the Saving McAdam Park campaign, Peter Ovens, said “This is what we have been waiting for and the club is indebted to Michael for his belief in the need to save this Australian icon of motorcycling. Now we have to forge ahead with our own fundraising efforts which are integral to the overall funding strategies.”

“It’s indeed an important community asset and the Victorian Government is delighted to play a leading role in helping to secure its future for the people of Geelong,” Mr Crutchfield said.

Photo courtesy – Adam Olive
Front – SMCC members Harry and Jake West
Back – Peter Ovens, SMCC Saving McAdam Park coordinator - Michael Crutchfield MP, Member for South Barwon – Peter Lindeman, Chairman Barwon Recreational Motorcycling Council – Madison Bird, SMCC member
Can't the government see the writing on the wall, if they put lots of money into these adventures that they keep our kids off the streets and entertained etc...saves them money in the long run..common scene..  :o
cheers alison
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 09:57:17 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »
Back to Barrabool
Posted: Wednesday, 13th May, 2009 : 3:23 PM - - 152 Reads -
The Sporting Motor Cycle Club near Geelong, is inviting one and all to it’s drawcard social event for 2009, the inaugural “Back to Barrabool”.

Soon to hit the Barrabool Hills on May 23 and 24, the SMCC will present the first of what may be many annual events based on sharing and celebrating their home of McAdam Park and its rich 47 year history, its fantastic potential for the future, and good old fashioned riding fun!

With only months to go before knowing if they have enough funds to secure the property, an icon of Australian motorcycling, which through the decades has brought so much pleasure to hundreds of thousands of people, SMCC has the peddle to the metal to save McAdam Park!

Funding of $1M recently announced by the Victorian State Government, has given a tremendous boost to McAdam Park’s chances of survival.

The “Back to Barrabool” weekend will be a social fun event for both young and old dirt bike enthusiasts to come and try what McAdam Park has to offer, which is plenty! Riders can sample no less than four tracks catering for all levels off riders – on offer for the weekend of riding will be the Nationally acclaimed McAdam Park Motocross circuit, along with the famous Oceania grass track, a Peewee track for the littlies and a test track where riders can sample all manner of new dirt bikes!

It is hoped that riders from bygone eras will also return again to Barrabool to relive old times and perhaps drag out those old machines from yesteryear to either ride or display.

A focal point of the weekend will be the central Big Top social marquee, featuring catering and bar facilities, club historic memorabilia and bike displays, merchandise shops and a display of the clubs major fundraiser the ‘Big Picture Wall’, and future plans proposed for McAdam Park.

Club representatives will be on hand to provide information, answer questions and let the public know how they can help save this world renowned facility. SMCC will be gratefully accepting any donations or pledges of assistance made towards the cause. The club needs to raise a minimum of another $350,000 to fulfil it’s share of funding the land.

The festive weekend will also include a car boot sale with sites available for a $10 fee or simply bring your surplus parts or gear to the SMCC manned stall and let the club sell them for you on commission. For info on sites call Maxine on 0407 502379.

Enthusiasts and families will be able to camp at the circuit for a small fee, with showers available. Saturday night in the Big Top marquee there will be entertainment, bar service and meals available, and a communal bonfire to help bring out the bench racing and stories of “the good ol’ days”!

Lucky gate ticket prizes will be drawn every hour in the Big Top marquee so everyone has a chance of taking home some goodies!

Admission is $5 per head each day (under 16 free) and to ride the tracks costs only $15 all up.

Riding starts 12.30 pm Saturday and 9.30 am Sunday. Enter on the day.

For information call 0418 332769, or in the final week prior to the event call 0400684374 or go to www.smcc.com.au
Best is in the West !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 08:03:30 pm »
i'm in for this one.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:34:00 pm »
I'm a member, I will be there both days. Should be great.

It looks like the weather is going to be on our side for the weekend too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 01:19:27 pm by Viper79 »
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 02:23:00 pm »
I really Congratulate the people that are fighting to keep this up and running for a ride.
The terms and conditions are just so hard.... :'(   fight the good fight people or as they say "fight fire with fire"
Its enough to make ya weep...Barrabool would like to put a bore down,but the neighbors are against it...Its alright for them to use as much underground water as they like...Why do people persist on not giving our kids a go at a ride complex.
Its keeping them entertained and away from bad social influences.

http://www.ma.org.au/AM/Template.cfm?Section=MA_Reports&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentFileID=62225
Best is in the West !!

PB20

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 06:23:08 pm »
They need to raise $350k?... Is this for insurances, maintaining the land, lease??