Author Topic: seat cover  (Read 1084 times)

rm nut

seat cover
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:16:12 pm »
c
can any one give me tips or pointers, on putting on new seat cover, do you put glue on the foam to hold cover.as well as staples any help would be great 1st time thanks gary :)

Offline RM Ted

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: seat cover
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:13:14 pm »
I get a local trimmer to put my covers on about $20. You can do it youself if you have a staple gun but dont use any glue on the foam.
1978 rm 125 x 3
1981 rm 125
1987 rm 125

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:20:59 pm »
Save yourself the heartache  and spend the $20-00  ;)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:55:20 pm »
20 bucks is cheap  :o

dave

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:26:24 pm »
Gary I was a trimmer so these are my tips.
1. Don't use glue to stick the vinyl to the foam!!!
2. If you don't have a staple gun get a trimmer to do it for you ($20 is cheap and most guys will do it for that price)
3. If you choose to do it take your time and use 4-6mm staples or longer ones will go through the plastic base and stick through your new cover (arrghh)
4. Before starting;
5. Warm the vinyl in the sun it makes it more pliable.
5. Clean the foam and plastic base i.e strip all the old staples out also with side cutters.
6. I often use clear plastic (thicker than glad wrap maybe some wrapping from white goods) over the foam to help it slide over easier and gives it a little more water proofing.
7. Slide the warmed vinyl over, position the cover straight and tack a staple in the middle of the front, back and both sides to hold in place (you can use contact glue on the edges and paint a little 1cm strip along the plastic where the staples go, but its not mandatory).
8. Once positioned nicely you can start working in a criss-cross pattern towards the corners, keeping an even tension on the vinyl as you go (not too tight and not loose just firm).
9. That's about it. Good Luck

rm nut

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:00:54 pm »
thanks every one for your tips i think i will take the $20 option if thats all it costs