Author Topic: AW250 "works" bike  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
AW250 "works" bike
« on: November 03, 2007, 09:21:05 pm »
I see that the son of Maico Moe is at it again, flogging off a '76 AW250 as a "works" bike on US ebay ( item # 260176292152 ). That seems to be the way to sell a Maico for big bucks. Just paint the motor all black , maybe add a few Wheelsmith stickers  & you have an instant "works" bike.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: AW250 "works" bike
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:52:30 pm »

That son of Moe or who ever he is sure knows how to reel 'em in. Right now in the US there are two really nice 490's which, while they haven't reached their reserve look as good as anything old 'griffgotya' can flog.

It may be a co-incidence but the guy who stole the $2850 US from me in mid 05 in a 490 buying deal said he was related in some way to Moe so perhaps that thief is griffgottya's cousin all the way out in Concord NC.

Either way it is a big CAVEAT EMPTOR.

BTW - In contrast I have just secured a very nice original '81 440 on evilbay (170163885290) and it will be interesting to see how it goes when it lands next year. It will be raced as pictured although it may cop a 490 reed engine to save the 440 donk from wear and tear. For interests sake the numbers are engine RT3482684 (1980 M1 engine) and frame 3473064 (that's the funny one - 347**** is for an '80 M1400 - but there is NO mistaking this to be an '81 in every sense of the word down to the roundback frame)

See you at the back of the pack
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 02:21:06 pm »
I couldn't find the Son of Moe AW250. The item # given didn't work and I searched the entire Maico listings and only found the following bling AW400 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260176951093  which has certain Son of Moe traits.

For those who don't know, 'Son of Moe' or "Griffgotya'' is the son of the late Maico collector Maico Moe. He is notorious in Maico circles for blinging up his Maicos, sticking some Wheelsmith stickers on them and advertising them as "works" bikes. The guy's an out and out bullshitter and con man but he still managed to get $13000 for a 490 Maico, advertised as a "Wheelsmith Works Maico" from 'Congressman Jack' in the Philipines, a cashed up Philipino government official, and $10000 for a 125 Maico advertised as a "Wheelsmith 125 works bike". The fact that Greg Smith, the owner of Wheelsmith Engineering hated 125 Maicos and wouldn't have anything to do with them meant nothing to "Son of Moe". I once interviewed him for VMX magazine and after spending 20 minutes of my phone bill telling me how good his knowledge of Maicos is then gave me the biggest crock of usless "information" you could imagine about 125 Maicos. He got shitty with me when I challenged his statement that Maico had won the 125 Road racing world title (they never even came close), telling me that I "didn't know what I was talking about and should spend more time researching and less time on the phone wasting his time"!!........Nice bloke, now where is the missing Son of Moe AW250, I could do with a laugh right now?

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 11:27:40 pm »

Hey Mark - check out his latest 490 sale #260173815784 which has fallen way short of his sale to Jack. I couldn't find any AW in the advanced search ???

There was one of Ray Wynwards 490's on there at the same time and although not as tizzed up it had some good gear on it and yet didn't raise a murmure while old Griff saw his bike go for good bills.
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:02:30 am »
The "Griffgotya" AW ended a few days ago & finished up around $5K US , which was well short of some of his previously listed "works" bikes . I only just deleted it from my list of watched items & now can't seem to retrieve it. The questions & answers part made interesting reading.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:19:06 pm »
Every Maico sold seems to be a "Wheelsmith" some kind of "works" or any other untrue, though extraneous bullshit...kind of like all those 1969 Camaro Z28s sold in the late 80s-early 90s, no X33, no DZ codes anywhere, yes, even automatics.

What a crock, it kind of pisses me off that he got the same price for that pos that I got for mine...I guess I didn't lie like I could have ;D

I do have a Wheelsmith Factory works Toilet( dunny) seat, used once by Adolph Weil, that I can let go for $60k us- a 125 cc unit of course ;D

BTW, a factory Maico was typically much less "trick" than a Wheelsmith, but it was either a Factory Maico( usually close to stock, with some mag bits etc), OR a Wheelsmith not both.

Maybe I could revise history to make the rusted junk in my shed worth a mint.

Build your non works, non Wheelsmith Maico, and go kick their asses with it.

I would advise not to buy a tire(tyre?) from this seller.
Life is suddenly very Monaro