Author Topic: Basham Park  (Read 2523 times)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Basham Park
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:57:43 pm »
Does any-one remember how to get to the site where the International GP was held near Adelaide in 1972?  The venue was called Basham Park, and it was near Mylor in the Adelaide Hills (it was apparently a picnic area called Silver Lakes).  I think the venue was only used the once when Robert, De Coster, Roberton, Weil Bauer and Aberg came to Oz.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Basham Park
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 05:02:34 pm »
Oh, and does any-one have any photos from that event?

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 06:07:43 pm »
Sorry cant help with the directions or photo's but was there a link between the name and Dave Basham?

Offline ji107

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:29:46 pm »

Basham park was very close to Silver Lake, which is just south of Mylor in the Adelaide Hills on or just off the Mylor to Echunga road.
I can't quite remember if it was on the Silver Lake Property, or not.
It was an old silver mine (as the name suggests), which filled up with water. Was a popular picnic swimming spot.
Now privately owned, you can still see the lake from the road.
Was named in honour of Dave Basham, multiple scrambles champion both state and nationally

Ji107

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 04:21:49 pm »
I drive that road about once a fortnight.  About how far after Mylor?  I know it was to the west of the main road.

Offline ji107

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:37 pm »
Out of Mylor heading to Echunga, only about the second intersection on the RH side, called Silver Lake Road.
The lake is probably a k or so down on the RH side, from memory some big trees around it, sort of neara house, doesn't look very big, was really deep though.
Can't really remember where the track was though, I seem to recall that it was further to the right from where the lake is, but I may be dreaming, it was a long time ago.
Just looked up on google earth, Silver Lake Road, Mylor, South Australia
Shows the lake, bigger than I remember, but I can't see  any signs of a track