Author Topic: Plug fouling  (Read 1525 times)

lc4

Plug fouling
« on: September 11, 2009, 05:46:53 pm »
I recently fully restored my Xl 250 Motosport that I have hardly put more than 10k on it due to a tyre issue (another story) and that it will quickly foul plugs. I had put a new jet kit through the carby ,full rebiuld on the motor etc. What I find is it will foul the plug (with carbon not oil ) as quickly as it takes it to get up to temperature. I had changed the plug  (which is the correct heat range )from a "R" to a standard non resistor plug as I thought maybe the coil is a bit weak but still the same problem. I would like to take it out and trash it to "clear it" but with only 10k on a complete rebiuld I don't want to invite more problems. The only other non standard thing is that I have added a valve saver additive to the fuel. When the plug is cleaned the bike will start and run clean without blowing black smoke so I don't think its a rich fuel mixture. Thought I would put it out here for a couple of suggestions

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Plug fouling
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:13:33 pm »
try a hotter plug,like a 7 just to run it (in),you didn't overdo the valvesaver??,piston ring in upside down,(like,wheres the carbon coming from on a new built motor??) :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

lc4

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 11:25:14 pm »
The carbon is defenitly not from burning oil and I added the valve saver as per instructions , I did give a hotter plug a thought but came to the conclusion that they (XL250) have always run a 8 plug.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 07:37:40 am »
Tell me why are you using valve saver ????     
I would have a guess , and say it's unburnt fuel

Put a pic up of a spark plug for us to view ..........

Offline 490 tez

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:27:17 am »
you havent put a new plug cap on with a resister built into cap as some of the old coils dont have enough gtrunt to push through them
big bore two strokes rock!!!!!!!!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 03:07:12 pm »
never had problem with my motorsport and have owned for 20 years now.Try 1 thing at a time
fist no fuel additive
2nd new plug no fuel additive
3rd check float level
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 04:39:19 pm »
Just a guess, is the air/mixture screw the correct turns out?

lc4

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 01:13:22 pm »
Thanks for the ideas to date, I will start with the simple things first (fuel) as suggested and work from there ;)