Author Topic: Another old bloke trying to relive his youth!  (Read 1860 times)

lowey

Another old bloke trying to relive his youth!
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:41:37 pm »
Hi All,
They call me Lowey.
Bit of background on me and VMX.
Did a bit of racing back in the late 70's and early eighties.
Raced mainly 80cc class with a stint in sleeved down 125/100cc class and 80cc 10inch wheel class if anyone remembers them? The track had a limit on cc's that could race there.
Most of my race meets were at the Epping Track in Victoria. This was a easier for me as I used wheel the bike there myself as we lived only 3k's from the track and the old man was too stingy to buy a trailer!
Did one race at Wallan. What a track! Shame the bugger is'nt still there.

Got a couple of mates who were from the same VMX era. One raced the Mister Motocross series (70's & 80's - Sponsored by KJ Thomas Whittlesea) and the other was a gun rider in Enduro, sponsored by Montesa (Ray Vandenberg's Cousin)

Over the years I've shiploads of bikes, mainly Yams (lost count) but I always wanted to get my arse on a Husky. So now I've got the coin, I need to look to the experts of this great website to get the good oil on whats the best ride worth spending my hard earned on.

Hope to get some good advice!
Cheers

DR

Re: Another old bloke trying to relive his youth!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »
advice eh Lowey..buy a Suzuki ;D

seriously I don't know Jack Shite about Husky's but welcome anyway ;)..you've come to the right place as there is at least 1000 registered users and we are all experts at something..me ?? I'm an expert in tall stories ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:37:51 pm by Doc »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »
Good on ya Lowie ! I grew up riding, admiring, working on and enjoying Jap two-stroke weapons, and always regarded Huskies as a quaint aberration. But, a year or so ago, when a 1974 WR400 Husky came up for sale on the ozvmx site for $3000, the light went on for me! I had a few $$ on hand because my mum had died, and I had it freighted over from Vic at a very reasonable price, thanks to a fellow vmx victim on this very forum. Yes, after 30 years off a dirt bike I am very much a gumby, but there's lots of info and support available both here and in the USA, and I love my Husky to bits, so get stuck in, son. You may not have the smartest or best-handling beast on the startline, but you'll have a racebike with style and charisma that is simple to work on, and which closely resembles the factory's works bikes of the day. With patient development and a few mods, you'll have a racer you can wheel out of the shed every few weeks, and give yourself an incurable grin. Go hard, son !!   ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

lowey

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 06:25:51 pm »
Cheers guys for the encouragement GD66  :D and the discouragement Doc  ;D. Its all good.
Just reading through the VMX forum is giving me a buzz. Imagine when I actually have the bike to brag about!

I'm guessing first time back out on the track I'll need to pack a few extra pairs of undies. But it'll be worth it.
Cant wait.

I can see that If I get into strife there's a few blokes out there happy to help out.
And you're right GD66. Go hard or go home!!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 07:07:05 pm »
Actually Lowey, the thing about vmx is, you go hard or not, and nobody gives a rats' either way. You're just like-minded hasbeens out going for a gallop on your vintage weapon, and win, lose or draw, there'll always be someone to race with, someone to chase, or someone to blow off. Coming from a roadrace background, I found it hard to conceive the air of indifference amongst the competitors, but have now accepted it, and really enjoy it. Some days you will fly, and other days you will just cruise. At the end, you'll still have the same set of buddies to have a beer and swap yarns with. Very healthy... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

classic 26

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 07:44:10 pm »
lowey best thing to do is join a club if u r still in vic east malvern mcc has about 20 members racing vmx give me a call on 0411173656.DREW

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 04:03:23 pm »
As a youngster during the early 70's, I always hankered for a Husky but without the readdies, was never close to having one (poor student racing on hand-me downs).  I still think that the 73/74 CR400 is one of the most elegant MX machines built.......ah, envy 8)

Some day.....

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:53:12 pm »
Lowie,

What ever, you are on the right track. Started with Heaven in early 09 with my 15yo. Best father and son trip ever. Fixed 2 wrecks which had their front forks in the tip. Now they are better than ever (read- better than b4 we got em) Out there, with the mates, with the kid and havin' a go. Husky parts? I/we in Wollongong can help. Bike, bits, info.  [email protected] for contacts

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

MTSEAN

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 08:39:32 am »
        Have u got any nos parts for my bultaco matador its nearly finished also i need a new roll of wire