Author Topic: Got spark, comression, fuel, bugger won't start  (Read 1464 times)

80hybridRM400

Got spark, comression, fuel, bugger won't start
« on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:10 pm »
In all of my buggering around with 2-strokes, this one baffles me! 

I have a 1974 Montesa cota247-T.  It had no spark when I got it.  Pulled the flywheel and found the condensor wire broken, fixed that and now I have awesome spark. 

Poured some mixed petrol down the sparkplug hole(maybe half a teapsoon)  Kicked it over and nothing, pulled the plug, looked as though is had tried to fire up as there was some exhaust coming from the spark plug hole.

What gives?  I have had engines with bugger all for compression and blown crank seals and they still start when I prime the engine this way? 

Any ideas?  I am 23 and still have a lot to learn and would appreciate any input! 

Thank you in advance

Morgan

oldfart

Re: Got spark, comression, fuel, bugger won't start
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:15:31 pm »
Check too see if key way on crank is aligned with mag slot  ;) you say you had it apart
check air box has no rags       clear  airway

80hybridRM400

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »
check and check, yes, one thing I will check tomorrow is if the exhaust is plugged up with a mouse nest, have had this happen before, never thought about it ha ha

Thank you very much

LATER ON..............

well I got impatient and went and worked in the dark outside with my torch, removed the exhaust and it is clear of obstructions.  I think I may have just flooded the bike with carb cleaner as there was reminents of it in the carb after I cleaned it, and I tipped the bike upside down with the spark  plug out and some came out, I think that must be it.  Silly me, I hope that is all it is

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 02:37:24 pm by 80hybridRM400 »

mainline

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:02:54 pm »
the neighbours must love you ;D

Offline suzuki 400

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 11:33:01 pm »
fancy a bit of start ya bastard will get things going ;D

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 06:38:25 am »
Hi
Pull the spark plug out put the bike in 1st and push it around beware to keep your finger on the kill switch if it sparks it may catch fire this is a old trick a wise old Tassie Mechanic showed me this will pump any thing out of the crank cases if they are flooded with fuel etc.

Beware it makes a mess but will fix the flooding problem, usely caused by the fuel being left on and a dodgey needle and seat.

Cheers
Fatboy

80hybridRM400

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:00:32 am »
Oh I dried the cylinder out!  I run Vintage snowmobiles all the time in the winter, and have sat 5 miles from home with no cell phone with a flooded engine.  After that I always carry a plumbers torch, and it has saved my arse quite a few times! ha ha....I did that, pulled the carb, sparkplug and exhaust and am leaving it like that for a day to dry out good

thank you very much for the great tips