Author Topic: Eighties MX  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Eighties MX
« on: October 29, 2007, 07:29:06 pm »
Just reading the threads about Vintage in NSW, and while I don't think it's at all bad (just look at the range of events this year!), I think there is an opening for looking after the Pre 90s that HEAVEN has decided not to cater to. Now, this is no criticism of HEAVEN, I think they do a great job of promoting a range of events and as far as I can tell everyone that goes to one has a ball.

But I've always wanted to do something a little different, and this Pre 90 thing looks like an opportunity to do just that. So, I'm floating the idea of a Register, a bit like VIPER but with the focus more on the lighter side of things. Not a competitor for HEAVEN or anyone else, just something different. Read on, see what you think, and let me know whether it's worth going for.

I want to call it Eighties MX. I don't have any really solid plans at this stage, but I see something like this:

- A website, probably here on OzVMX.
- A separate forum, or a room on here.
- A hardcopy newsletter.
- A T-Shirt
- A sense of humour, probably a bit like Mark Austin's original HEAVEN site.
- Some social events, maybe a dinner, weekend at Lochmaree or whatever, 'runs' to big races like Oceania.
- Displays at events or shopping centres.
- Maybe an event or two through the year. Not sure where, but surely we could swing one at Canberra. And not near any existing events either, if at all possible.
- Maybe a demo ride at another modern event (hmmm... did I hear Amcross?)

Now as far as the race schedule goes, I want to break with tradition and move away from the traditional classes. Not suggesting changing the well proven Vintage formula, not suggesting changing the rulebook, not suggesting usurping the Nats formula. Nope, just something different to add some flavour to a fun take on ridin' bikes. I am open to ideas, but here's the thoughts:

Firstly, 80sMX covers the decade 1979 to 1989, so any motorcycle involved must be fit in the range of manufactured on or after 1 July 1978 and be designated a 1979 model, up to being manufactured before 31 December 1989 and be designated a 1989 model. This covers the transition, via Evolution and Development, from Vintage to Modern.

Two primary classes:

EVO - Evolution (drum brakes, air cooling, non-linkage)
DEVO - Development (disk front, anything else)

Within those, two capacity classes:

VMX1 - 260-1000cc
VMX2 - 100-255cc

Thus: VMX1 Evo, VMX2 Evo, VMX1 Devo, VMX2 Devo.

Each of these classes would have a race based on skill and age:

V-Am - Age open, just have fun, cruise around, race at my own pace, no sheep stations
V-Pro - Age open but I'm a serious Mother.
V-Master - Over 45.

Races are therefore

E1-Am
E1-Pro
E1-Master
E2-Am
E2-Pro
E2-Master
D1-Am
D1-Pro
D1-Master
D2-Am
D2-Pro
D2-Master

12 races per round, 3 rounds of racing gives you 36 races for a day's action. A 48yo guy with say an 86 CR250 could be in for D2-Pro and D2-Master, which translates to 6 races. NO-ONE would get less than 6 in fact.

No sheepstations, but there would be trophies or ribbons for each class on the day. No series totals, especially in the first year cos there would be no series.

And finally, while we are MX focused, I can't see any reason why we couldn't look at a Pony Express as well...

Whaddya think?

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:31:38 pm by Graeme M »

magoo

Re: Eighties MX
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:20:08 pm »
I reckon that could be just what the doctor ordered. It always seems to be a bit of a grey area between vintage and post vintage so I reckon the only way forward is to separate the two eras. I reckon you could be on an absolut winner there mate. See what the rest of the punters reckon. You would only need to run 3 meeting a year. Really good, innovative thinking there Graeme, thanks.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:38:12 pm »
Maybe... Of course the worry is that there are just too many events now and people are getting a bit stale. Add another 'club' or series into the picture and it dilutes an already thin scene.

But I'd like to imagine we could do something that covers a slightly different era, leaves the vintage guys to focus on vintage and hopefully provides a more low key way to enjoy some old dirtbikes. If it took off there's no reason why in time it wouldn't just fold into the existing structure with serious Pre 85 and Pre 90 classes.

Now note that I am not suggesting I'll do all this. I can be an ideas man, but I'm a bit light on in the 'doing' stakes, so I'd be looking for a group of people willing to help. Gezza of course is keen, and with the ACT club I think we can swing a bit of interest. All we need are a few key players elsewhere to cover bases like promotion, officials, etc. We'd need to find out a bit about how QVMX and VIPER do their thing, and I think there are some issues with running events in NSW that are different to elsewhere. But hey, you never know. 2008 at least could be the 'setting up' year...

Tony T

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:39:17 pm »
I love the idea Graeme!
Although, I've developed a lust for 70's desert bikes of late, the 80's is where I did most of my racing and I still have a great interest in that era. In fact, I've currently got 3 80's bikes in the shed. At least there was the last time I looked about a month ago.................  ::)
Not sure that I could get to too many meetings, though.
Keep us posted Graeme. I'm in..................  ;D
P.S. Just what you need, another website to look after.  ;)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:46:41 pm »
Well, of course it could be an Aussie wide thing, and events might be possible in other than NSW. As for websites, I am scaling back the OzVMX one quite soon (back to just the forum, pics and classies), and I'd be looking at some software to allow club members to add content to the 80sMX site. My stepson is a graphic designer so I'd hit him up for the 80sMX logo and T-Shirt design.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:58 pm »
Quote from Tony T

"Not sure that I could get to too many meetings, though"

Don't worry Tony I'll pick you up on the way through!

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

BONEHEAD

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 09:09:24 pm »
Im in just let me know the dates and venue ;D CHEERS BONEHEAD

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 09:22:48 pm »
Quote from Tony T

"Not sure that I could get to too many meetings, though"

Don't worry Tony I'll pick you up on the way through!

Brent

I knew I could count on ya, Brent! Just have to find someone to do my work for me..................  :-\

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 09:57:31 pm »
Fundamentally, sounds like a great idea, and you know it's got my support.

Two suggestions that you're free to ignore if you wish:

1. Capacity classes should be 0~230cc and 231cc+, or something like that. Otherwise, the under 250cc class would become a 250-only benefit, and would leave most of the 125s looking a bit stupid.
Similarly, while there's plenty of 125s and 250s around, the 500s started dying off in the 1980s so you might end up with (say) 30 bikes in the under 250 class, and 7 in the over 250 class...
You could also give things like IT and KDX200s a semi-competitive role in life if they only have to compete against 125 MXers??

2. I wouldn't include the 1979 models. I can't think of a single 1979 model bike that isn't already Evo legal (and therefore already has a'home' in the existing structure). Plus "80s MX" is dead simple and easy to understand - adding one year of 1970s models will create confusion, at least.

Like I said - count me in. :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 10:00:32 pm »
If i enter the DEVO class on my 85'  CR500 can i wear a hat like the DEVO band instead of my Helmet, the hat will of course meet AS1698 or whatever it is now.  ;D

Only joking guys this is a great concept.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 10:19:25 pm »
Well, to be honest I think it'd be mandatory for any CR Honda rider to wear a Devo hat...

Good points Nathan, the capacity and year matters need a little honing I can see that. However, I guess I am not trying to do HEAVEN or the formal Vintage structure out of business, and so I figured this would dovetail nicely with the Pre 78 Register Firko is getting up and running. Still, keeping it to a pure 1980-89 period is neat and tidy.

Not sure about the capacity classes though. More than any other class of racing, vintage appears to reward the rider. Witness the DT Nats, with DT250s, TT500s and CL350s of all things winning left right and centre. Would a 125 really be so disadvantaged against a 250? I saw Noel laying waste to a field of 500 thumpers on his 125 at Canberra...

Still, I do see your point re the respective numbers. Not sure... I guess if the fundamental class rule is disk front or not, then a lot of 1983/84/85 model 500s will still be eligible in the D1 class, eg RM/CR/KX500s and YZ490s, not to mention all the Husky 510s and so on.

I think 100-255 and then 260-500 still works OK. Anyone else got an opinion on that?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:26:56 pm by Graeme M »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 10:47:40 pm »
OK, fair enough on the bike ages thing - although shouldn't you include the 1978 models too then?

WRT the capacity classes, I reckon that you'll find that a field of average riders on both 250s and 500s won't display any real advantage to either size bike. But if you mix the 125s and 250s, then I reckon you'll see the 250s triumph more often than not, effectively relegating the 125s to being 'pack-fillers'.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:56 pm »
Les Richters and I are in the process of revamping Brad Fishers Pre 75 register complete with website. The sites been ready for about three weeks and I believe that some of you have seen it during it's brief time online. Unfortunately the IT problems Les had had has delayed the launch much to our disapointment. I have no idea of what the problem is other than it is affecting the Mainly Maico and Vintage Plastics online ordering system and the ability for the Register site to seperate from the mothership and have its own url.

The register will now cater for pre 78 bikes and we hope that we can take Brads concept and improve on it as we progress. This will be a lightweight register very much along the lines of Graemes 80s register. I'm really pissed off that this problem has popped up but I've been told that the problem is close to being fixed. Hang in there pre 78 fans. I think you might like what we've put together........

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 09:01:28 am »
Talk about manna from HEAVEN - I'm saved!!!  I can now mix it with other pre-90 bikes in NSW!  The gods have indeed smiled on me - thank you VMXMAN, you is de man

OK, so there's a bit of work to be done to make this actually happen...ok, a shitload of work.  But VMXMAN is up to it - he wouldn't have proposed it otherwise, would he?

Between EightiesMX and the our new 'Pre-88' class at ACT, touchwood me and the RG will be having a whale of a time in 2008.

Hi ho, hi ho, its off to work I go (with a big smile on my face today....).