Author Topic: quick question  (Read 1488 times)

DR

quick question
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:41:37 pm »
If a bike has forks/shocks that 'appear' to measure longer than the max limit yet these forks do not and cannot use that measured 'extra' travel then are they still illegal if infact the actual travel remains within or below the regs?

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: quick question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:47:48 pm »
Doc, I think the answer is yes. With the Montesas in pre-78, I believe they have a bit over the 9in maximum and have to be spaced/blocked out to keep it to 9in. I think there should be a 0.25- 0.50 in leeway to allow for gremlins, myself.

DR

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 03:03:57 am »
Thanks 27, I was kind of thinking about 30 to 40 mm of excess length but slid up through the top clamps. e.g. RM80 forks inners in TM125 lowers. Not doing anything at present but always been curious as to whether I would need to have the fork tubes shortened or if I could run them as is so long as actual travel remains within the limit ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:25 am »
The damper rod would limit the travel not the length of the top tube. I would put a cable tie on the leg take the spring out and fully compress, then fully extend again and measure from the cable tie to the dust cap. ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:48:41 pm »
Good question DOC , My rm 125 forkes have exactly the correct amount of travel but I had the bigger top out spring removed and put in a spacer to limit travel. This was done to compensate for longer rear shocks,It looks Like I have 11 inches but the forks only move 9
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline bigtoe

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:19:30 pm »
Hi doc, I run xr 200 tubes with sl125 sliders on my sl125 so travel stays legal,it just gives a bit more height for my long legs, I checked the rule book and it mentions nothing about tube length only diameter, 35 mm max pre 75