Author Topic: Hardest bikes to restore  (Read 6746 times)

211kawasaki

Re: Hardest bikes to restore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 10:36:26 am »
I have to agree with the 125 thing although I never really thought about it as has been discussed, there are a lot of carry over bits from 250s to the open class bikes like say the seats and tanks of a TM250/400 etc.

Having been at this for a few years , got the first of my VMX bikes in 88 and been restoring them since, I have to say the the YZ250a that I have been doing to 3 years for Steve Gall is no question / hands down the hardest and Ive had some hard ones to do.

With the RN400L - I had all the bits and as rare as they are they were all there and either new or good, the RH250 as well. The KXs were all good to start with even though difficult for parts my experience sees them more available than YZA stuff. I guess though my real point is that the resto is as hard as the bike you have and the state its in. Two of my KXs have never been apart and except for a look inside are original all the way so even with rare bikes restos can be easy if the bike has been well maintained and is complete.

As for the YZ250A, oh how I would love to give it back and get it out of my life, its just so frustrating and slow and the search for the correct bits is soooo hard. Its going to be a garage queen and the cables need to be grey, the tank straps need to be the right ones, the nuts, bolts, washers all need to be the correct stuff! :-\

tanner

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 03:56:56 pm »
Tanner, I'm glad you saw it the way I tryed to explain. (it wasnt about how hard it is to restore any one bike, brand, model) but one kind of bike, The 125cc.

Anyway I will gladly take that YZ250A off your hands ;) ;D, but failing that would you like me to sell you a complete set of tank straps? Myself and a friend are looking at making a few bits and pieces for this bike (YZ250/360A and YZ250/360B).

YZ tank straps- a new one and an original one

The new set

Buckles and straps

The new set next to an original set

What do ya think ???

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 05:44:46 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 09:18:38 pm »
good work there Dj, bloody close as
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

211kawasaki

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 10:36:30 pm »
No Wuz, Im just about to go away for about 10 days, do you want to COD a set to Dave Tanner PO Box 306 Ormeau QLD 4208

I be able to get them after the 18th if there there by then

tanner

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 11:54:26 pm »
Darcy Pm me for my postal address and then send me one of those ? $9 ? prepaid postal satchels and I will send you back a full size copy of the Thunderdog Parts book ,if you want  Cheers Tim754
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:56:02 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.