Author Topic: Australian Classic Road Race Championships  (Read 3510 times)

magoo

Australian Classic Road Race Championships
« on: October 28, 2007, 04:56:41 pm »
I'm just back from the Classic Road Race Champs at Eastern Creek and I must say, what an event. There was some of the best racing I've seen for a long time with full grids in most classes and some of the most impressive bike I've ever seen. If you reckon you've seen some impressive bikes in your life, have a look at the Irving Vincents. They have got to be the most spectacular motorcycles on the face of the earth, and to see one win the Forgotten Era 1300cc class in front of Peter Guest on a Z1R Kawasaki is impressive indeed. And anyone racing VMX don't complain about it being expensive, our yearly costs wouldnt cover this one meeting for these boys.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Classic Road Race Championships
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:50:23 pm »
years ago when i used to road race there was a norvin 1000cc racing in the c grade events and always in the top 3 or 4
he also used to race pre 62 with it as well just changed the front end.i have a pic some were of it with the commando disc drake front in it at Oran park.the riders name was Eric debenhan i think
cheers
jimg

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:01:31 am »
Ken Horner sure knows his stuff, to win the FE 1300 is no mean feat.Unfortunately my planets didn't align to let me attend :'( :'( :'(
Nice report magoo.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 07:09:37 pm »
 Ahoy Jim G, the ex-Debenham Vincent is still alive and well, and still goes like a downpour of excrement ! Was ridden hard by Clive Harrop a couple of years back, and appeared at last year's nats at Mt Gambier pedalled by Stuart Loly. Still looking and sounding horn !! ;D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:48 pm »
GD66
his last classic meeting at amaroo park it was offered to the pit for sale $15000.00.that was in the 80s i think.i had just bought 2 cottens and was looking at a 3rd then.i was riding my BSA 84s 500jap and a 350velo.wish i had the money then to buy it but i sold all my bikes in the late 90s so i probably would not have it now.i still have the pic Eric and the Vincent at Oran park
cheers
jimg

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:15:22 pm »
well i had a meeting i'd rather forget about ::),1st race sat,fired the honda at turn 10,(12thou in 3rd),went down instead of up,pharrrkk,found most of the valve colletts  ;D,2hrs later going down pit lane not to be outdone the MV decides to copy the honda,inlet valve jumps ship,spent the next 20mins under a cold shower,(originally thought it was the big end  >:(),quite happy to discover later just another bent valve ;),other than that,it was a pretty good meeting,crowds were good,lots to look at,said hello to Ken in the VMX tent,cheers all, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

firko

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:40:26 pm »
Bummer Mick, I hope the rebuild isn't too costly.  Debo's Vincent would have to be one of my all time favourite Aussie race bikes. It's up there with the Henderson Matchless and Jack Crowhursts ESO Manx that was ridden by Peter and Jim Scaysbrook back in the early 80s. 

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 11:52:37 pm »
the Henderson matcho was in the ajoining pit (#3)to me on display,along with Wayne Gardners(Mentors) CB1100R Castrol 6hr bike,i kept going back to look at the matchless  (love to pull the wire on that one), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!