Author Topic: cleaning up zinc and cad bolts  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
cleaning up zinc and cad bolts
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:35 am »
I have got a few that the plating is decent but would like to put a shine on them, I have heard mild sulphuric acid, any other tips.
formerly Marc.com

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning up zinc and cad bolts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:51:12 am »
The strongest I would try would be vinegar - sulphuric, apart from being extremely dangerous shit is very corrosive in any concentration and can be residual.

Zinc plating is cheap and it is often better to just post off your box of faded old plating and then have it come back looking as good as the day the bike left the factory. Cad is a slightly different matter because it is so environmentally on the nose most plating shops won't go through the hassles of using it any more and those that do pass on every precautionary cost to the end user ie US!

Best option if finish overides originality is to use stainless on all but the highly stressed fasteners

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »
Arent there issue with stainless bolts ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:44:02 pm »
Battery acid is used to strip zinc platting  ;)

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 04:44:51 pm »
i purchased a zinc kit and the results are better then some of the pro's work,$145 for the kit and the finish is unreal kinda looks like chrome its that good

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 05:46:36 pm »
Battery acid is used to strip zinc platting

are you sure about that? I dont think so.

battery acid is sulphuric acid.

I strip zinc plating with Hyrochloric acid and it is also what most zinc platers use for striping.

Sulphuric acid is however used for striping chrome electrically and i do use it for stripping chrome but not zinc.

neither Hydrochoric or sulphuric is extremely dangerous. Just dont drink it or get in your eyes and you will be fine. wear gloves and safety goggles if you think you might spash some but getting a little on your hands will not instantly damage your skin, just wash it off with water.

The biggest problems is sulphuric acid eating away at your clothes. Dont get it on your clothes! Just one tiny drop will eat away at your shirt or pants. you will only notice it a few weeks later when you see holes in your clothes. Ive had it happen a few times when filling up batteries and you dont realize one little droplet has got on your pants.

On thin zinc plating, ive never bothered to try and brighten up the old zinc, when i can get a whole bikes worth of parts re-plated for about $70.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 05:48:52 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 05:58:24 pm »
Leith , try it .  gives a better finish .... won't rust any parts via fumes close by  ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »
I was reading an article that was talking about sulphuric acid bringing bolts up a treat. What about Oven Cleaner....I might give a few products a whirl.
formerly Marc.com

hotdog1975

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 08:33:57 pm »
Try these guys - not too expensive & you can plate your heart out....http://www.janekits.com.au/mainframe.php

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:17 pm »
How can suphuric acid strip zinc plating and also brighten or rejuvenate the plating ??? which is it, im sure it cant do both things.

We have 2 conflicting statements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:20:20 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 01:24:22 am »
I stand by what I said and agree with most of the posters re HCl and H2SO4 are highly corrosive and will REMOVE plating rather than simply helping to remove a tarnish.

Stainless steel fasteners have their place in restoration for long lasting finish although not quite like the original for a 10 point resto but excellent for a rider. I wouldn't use stainless fasteners for areas of high stress eg shock mounts and triple clamp bolts etc, but for cases etc have no issues.

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:56:29 pm »
Stainless steel fasteners have their place

they do but you are right on chassis parts they are a pain to keep tight unless you go nylocks and always look weird.

Nothing like Zinc bolts with a little Maori loctite.
formerly Marc.com

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 07:44:11 am »
Maori loctite...pray tell more  ??? ??? Supaglue by any chance ;D ;D
If using stainless fastners dont forget to use a little antiseize on the threads to stop thread galling & pickup. Bit of a bastard when they dont want to come apart.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Flatty

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:51 am »
I knew a workmate who got sick of losing the nuts & bolts off his bike so he used his wife’s nail polish on the threads. Apparently it worked a treat and if the threads were clean, he did not have to reapply it each time. Then he found out about locktight I am sure his wife is thankful for this product!
Regards
Pete

mx250

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 11:21:05 am »
Maori loctite...pray tell more  ??? ??? Supaglue by any chance ;D ;D
My guess would be Maori loctite = rust. ::)