Author Topic: So I got me a KTM  (Read 1221 times)

msmola2002

So I got me a KTM
« on: July 05, 2009, 12:33:28 am »
Gday peoples.

Don't get on here all that much.

Some of you may remember me as the guy on the horrible, horrible TS185 from CD5 Last year.

Anyways, as some you know (basically the newcastle and yass connection :p)

I have buggered off to the US of A on a work visa for a little while.

And the area where I am living, maaaaaaaaaaaaate it is motocross heaven.

I live in Norwich NY, which is like 15 mins from New Berlin. I am 15 Mins from thunder ridge, 20 from Unadilla, 45 from broome tioga and I went to a flattrack last weekend (square deal raceway) at harpursville. was a vintage meeting. then the next day went to broome tioga. Awesome!

basically there would have to be a solid half dozen or more places within 2 hours of my joint.

Anyways, due to this, I started browsing the craigslist classifieds. I tried to buy an 86 suzuki 250 but got shafted when the guy sold it from under me.

So last week was browsing and found an 85 KTM.

needs some work. either the coil or stator is shot, tehre is no kicker and teh brakes don't work. the rear is an easy enough fix, (1 nut required - ah, the simplicity of drums!) but the front looks like teh fluid has leaked from the caliper, but on the bright side this has protected teh chrome.

But, it has original lookign plastic in not too bad shape, beautiful alloy rims, White Power front and back.

And for 300 i really can't complain!

So plans are a new set of triples, diagnose the lack of spark, fixthe brakes and get out to some practice days and learn how to ride. IS a biiiiig step up from a busted arse ts185.

Pics will say more than my dribble!

laters!
Michael

Rosco400

Re: So I got me a KTM
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:12:14 am »
Hi Michael,

Youve taken a step backwards, buying a KTM, looks like youve got some work ahead ;D good to see u finally made it to the states. I got your email so I will shoot one back in the next couple of days.

PS Ugly couple of mates you've got there :-*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:15:12 am by Rosco400 »

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:20:54 am »
She looks original but weathered. Obviously spent alot of time outside.
You can be our US correspondent for all things vintage!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:12:06 pm »
 It ain't no TS185 ::) Just be sure your health insurance is fully paid up.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
 :D

We got a laugh from your PM, Mick.... Anna's comment was "Mick? On a 500!? F$%K!".

And she's right, of course.

I'll send you a PM re your 2002 soon too. ;)

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 07:33:51 am »
Hey michael naturally you will transplanting the million dollar chain off the TS onto the KTM  ;)
Good to hear your living it up over there  :) enjoy it while your young mate 
Cheers Bill

mx250

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:28:02 am »
Wow, You have ya work cut out for ya there. There's hardly a nut or washer you won't have to fettle. Good luck.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:16:41 pm »
 ;D ;D ;DYour a funny bloke Bill. Must admit that chain would make that Austrian shitter sparkle
Jesus only loves two strokes

msmola2002

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 12:19:03 pm »
Hey hey guys.

yep, lot of work to get it to go! I have time on my side. A running example not much better than mine (but going) looks to be worth about 1k, and up from there, so if I can get the thing in usable condition for 1k, I'll be happy. Ebay looks to be my friend.

quick look over since the pics has found the right radotor needs work (threaded brass tube like a tyre valve stuck in the top and glued in with silicone) also found the the magnesium engine side cover has a bit of rot where the hose is fitted.

then thought ok, I'll pop the head to have a quick look at the piston and barrel etc, see if the galleries are corroded (expect not with all that magnesium around it to go first).

So I pull the bolts, and the head won't pop. On closer inspection it appears one of the PO's has not had a gasket so has glued it on with JB weld. Oh. Dear. Attack of bubba the hillbilly.

will get a blowtorch type thing in the next few days and see if i can persuade it off.

At the mo am waiting on a manual before I pull everything apart and wonder, "hey where did that bit go?"

also a poster with some part numbers, ktm-parts.com has a thing where you can search by part numbers, and it tells you what has been superseded. Some stuff on ebay is only marginally cheaper than some stuff you can still get.

eg, a kicker, most sellers want 100USD or thereabouts plus 10-15 for post, there is one still available new that may fit (waiting on chart to confirm) that is new for just under 130. I'll pay the extra 20 bucks i think rather than some rusty thing that looks like it has been used to prop a garage door open.

I can get a new seat cover, and even a frame too by the looks of it :p and if I want to pay, new barrels and heads although pistons look to be made from unobtanium

anyways, time to post up some pics of the broome-tioga AHRMA VMX from 2 weeks back...

thanks for the support guys, I know I'm gonna need it!

ps, anyone want to pull the chain off the TS for me and mail it here, it, um, needs one of them too :D