Author Topic: RM400C Kick starter  (Read 902 times)

Offline Hotelmoto

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
RM400C Kick starter
« on: June 24, 2009, 05:30:12 pm »

If you have one laying around in one less piece then mine,  and you would like to pass it on to a fellow Suzuki member I would appreciate a PM. or any advise on what else may fit, 79 or 80 400 no good they have a shaft bolt.  nothing on ebay.  Thanks

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RM400C Kick starter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:02:44 pm »
You can use any of the other kickers (with or without pinchbolt) if you have access to a drill, 6mm x 1mm tap and a pan head grub screw.
Using a non pinchbolt design kicker.
1. Measure the distance from the end of the shaft to the centre of groove in the shaft.
2. Take that measurerement and mark the kickstarter boss at about the 9:00 position (when fitted to the shaft)
3. Drill a 5.00mm hole through the boss
4. Tap to the 6.00 thread
5. Fit the grub screw and measure the amount of protruding thread to the underside of the bolt head.
6. Remove the bolt and cut the end of the bolt to the measured distance.
7. Grab some lock tight and fit the bolt so that it locates tight into the groove.
Wallah..... a non pinch bolt kicker fitted to a shaft without a thread. Have done this as well as (if you are real adventurous) drill and tap the shaft. Did both on my 250's and has not been an issue, although you will need an engineering shop to do it as the normal run of the mill drills and taps just arn't up to the task.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Hotelmoto

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: RM400C Kick starter
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:29:52 pm »
Ta Bahnsy

Simple really (after reading your instruction five times until it sunk in and taking a good look at the shaft) I can do that.  see you on the 5th.