Author Topic: change to a 74 swing arm.  (Read 2887 times)

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
change to a 74 swing arm.
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:14:35 pm »
Hi,

just stripped down my cd 6 buy, the swing arm came out with not to much effort and rest of the bike is in good nick with no major problems.
A big dollar question do i replace the swing arm with a 74 copy from GMC is it worth the dollars and do they fit straight in,
the frame has a 71 stamped on the swing arm so it may be a 1971 frame?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Chris.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:16:19 am by hampster »

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: change to a 74 swing arm.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »
Chris I am racing my 73 cz with the same swing are as you and its fine, it has a bit of flex but it does not slow me down at all. you are better of spending your money on carby and light weight plastics.  H

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:47:57 am »
I have been told by the experts that the 73 is the best handling frame. I wouldn't be surprised if the swingarms are the same. Mr Jikov is a walking encyclopedia on cz's

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:03:15 am »
swing arms from 1974 on are diferent to earlyer ones.send ji a pm he has done just what you want to do but useing a gen cz swing arm.most of the diferences are in the area of the rear wheel and where it agjusts

Offline hampster

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:33 pm »
I have been told by the experts that the 73 is the best handling frame. I wouldn't be surprised if the swingarms are the same. Mr Jikov is a walking encyclopedia on cz's

Have been in contact with mr Jikov but seems to be down at the local tattoo parlor most of the time.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 04:33:35 pm »
Hi
The red frame 74 swing arms are longer (better?) and is commonly seen  in the 73 Black frame , but check rear axle/suspension travel 

Offline Drakie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 10:12:40 am »
I fitted a GMC swing arm to my early frame and I have to say it changed the bike. It didn't flex or wobble like before and even tho I got it for cost price (as Geoffs a mate) it was well worth it. I can push the bike so hard without a fear of it stepping out anywhere. The best combinations are the early black frames and 1974/GMC/anythingelse swingarm. The 74 arm is recessed to take the shock lower in the arm, and is too hard to find. The early frames are better triangulated and put more weight on the front wheel compared to the 74 frame which moved the headstock further out.
Cheers comrades,
D.