Author Topic: Removing Podercoating on a Fram  (Read 6237 times)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Podercoating on a Fram
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 10:23:57 am »
some powder coaters do use an under coat
MUGEN power

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 10:33:49 am »
yes some. its still a bit of a cheap and nasty finish in my opinion.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

husky61

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 10:59:39 am »
Mark

Mr Clean Blast and Coat at Gow Street Padtow. Not the lowest cost provider around but they are reliable and fast.

We had a couple of frams done recently .One of the frams was particularly rough and it actually looked great when finished with new podercoat.  To easy.

Same price as removing standard paint finish.

MHO ,providing the initial preparation is correct, poder coat is much better than two pack in this application , particularly on a road bike.

I will email the contact details Monday

Shoey

STW996

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 11:57:42 am »
Mark, I do powder coating so I can atest to the following,

To remove it go to someone that does heat cleaning that is a commerical furnace and have it stripped (I use a guy in Brisbane and costs about 40-50 bucks per frame, it will then need sandblasting to bring the metal back clean.

As for the powder coating v painting powder coat is the same as paint with out the solvent it is that simple it is that it goes on three times thicker than paint that makes it hard to remove, It will only start to lift if chipped if not cured correctly (baked) in the first place and it is always best to pre-treat as with any base metal, zinc plating is a good start as it etchs the frame and the powder with stick better. If using an undercoat a zinc primer is the best.

I have a couple of frames done and have had trouble with it just because I used the wrong primer and applied to thick (was still learning then). I have done hubs and rims with it and on one of my red devils has done 2 seasons racing with no lifting (sticks realy well to bead blasted aluminium). I have also done a couple of half litre speedway sprinter frames and have had no problem (have on one with a clear metalic and still looks good).

The main problem is colour match as most powder suppliers will not do small runs (not without costing the earth) but I am looking it that.

We would do a standard frame and parts for around 70-80 bucks if supplied clean (just to give you an idea of cost).

P.M me if you need more info.

Shane
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:02:43 pm by STW996 »

Mark Austin

Re: Removing Powdercoating on a Frame
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2008, 01:03:03 pm »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for the info Shane.

I haven't got the bike apart yet, but its obvious that rust has got under a lot of the powdercoat and is showing up through the silver powdercoat. Its been sitting for over 10 years and is in very good, original condition, other than the rust.
Its a Laverda, so the frame probably weighs a ton.

Where would I find someone in Sydney to do the heat cleaning - I haven't heard of that before. What kind of company would do it?

Cheers,
Mark

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2008, 06:07:58 pm »
 mr clean at gow st are good reliable and pleasant.a manufacturer friend gets lots done there. cheers .
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Suzukal

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 07:42:06 pm »
Hi Auscobul ...
I've had powdercoating removed from frames. Sand blasters don't seem to happy to do it, so I get them acid dipped. They drop it in a caustic bath for a few hours and it removes the powdercoating. I then give the frame a quick once over with the bead blaster. You can then paint, powdercoat or whatever, and it'll look a treat.

YSS

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »
Yes , I can only happely back that up . It works a treat

STW996

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:43 am »
Mark, As wally said if you see a local powder coater they will know as most use a company like I said to clean their hooks and alike of powder buildup.

Acid dipping would be ok but as long as all the acid is cleaned out of the inside of frame as if not could cause rusting from inside out, again it is personal choice and availability.

Good luck with the project mate.

Shane

husky61

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 03:04:31 pm »
Mr Clean

Vanessa Hong 9790-4758 (Manager)

Unit 3 / 89 Gow Street , Padstow

4RoBs

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »
Hi lads,

Does anyone have any experience in removing powdercoating from a frame?

I do now - fire in the shed.

Rob

sense of humour returning. Enjoying having the time to participate!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 06:17:01 pm »
Hi lads,

Does anyone have any experience in removing powdercoating from a frame?

I do now - fire in the shed.

Rob

sense of humour returning. Enjoying having the time to participate!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And if your swingarm pivot bolt is stuck solid don't risk damaging the frame in a press, simply put it in a shed fire which will easily remove that pesky alloy swingarm from the pivot bolt.

;D ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 06:35:48 pm »
wasnt just english   

cookie

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 08:14:47 pm »
i just got my frame sandblasted and powdercoated and was told to get it zinc coated first before coating so that water etc doesnt get under the powdercoating, it was just a two pack zinc but apparently they use the same stuff to coat bridges so it must be good and it only cost $30 to get it done, well worth it. it cost me about $190 to get it zinced and blasted and he said it would be three times the price to get the powdercoating off, so i am glad i am happy with it