Author Topic: Wet clutch conversions  (Read 5449 times)

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
Wet clutch conversions
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:48:24 pm »
This has probably been covered before.What are the advantages of a wet clutch conversion?Anyone using one at present?Is it hype given that the dry clutch setup works well?Opinions welcome!

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Wet clutch conversions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 10:50:31 am »
2nd hand but...a good friend has a 73 400 CZed-been racing AHRMA and AVDRA races steady since 2002. He replaced the original clutch in 2006. I raced it once( what a bike-IMO awesome)-and abused the clutch pretty bad.
The feedback I get is that it helps with overall wear, and it runs cooler( the clutch assembly), but no real change in action. Dano's stock dry clutch worked just as well as the wet clutch bike to me.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »
Hi,
When you race a CZ  you only use the clutch twice per race, once at the start line and once more when you stop in the pits,
I been riding CZ's for more than 40 years, I don't know how the hell you can wear a clutch out,
K I S S   

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 12:20:40 pm »
the guy i buy my parts for my 1972 cz400 told me never to go the wet clutch way.like jikov he has been around cz for a long time.if you go that way make sure you do regular oil changes to get the clutch dust out of your gearbox and bearings.these are not my words but his czguy usa
cheers
jim

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:57 pm »
I use Barnett plates in my '73 250 and haven't had any problems. They run fine dry  and the inevitable leaky clutch basket seal doesn't affect them either.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 01:04:52 pm »
canam370
i have heard that as well whne mine dies i might invest in some atm my plates are new
cheers
jim
cz400

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 07:51:55 pm »
Thanks gents.I scored  a barnett wet clutch pack on evilbay,so its good to know they run ok when dry.I'll keep them as spares.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 07:55:43 pm »
glad it went to a good home was going to bid but my clutch is new and i have a spare,and i would have driven the price up
cheers
jim

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:58:24 am »
Hi,
I bought a set of Barnett clutch plates 10 years ago for spares just in case , still in the packet , Serco, here in Brisbane, still have them listed as available, in stock.

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 11:45:08 am »
Like Jikov I too have a spare set in the pack as spares. Gives weight to the adadge that if you have a spare the original part won't fail!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 01:08:41 pm by Canam370 »
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:51:33 am »
Too right guys also says a lot about the durability of the originals.By the way anyone got a spare back  hub and/or complete wheel?When are you back on a bike Jikov?

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 04:27:12 pm »
Hi,
A partial nephrectomy and removal of a tumor, the good kind, and a 60th birthday have kept me out of the saddle for a while ,but its all good, missed the Aussie Nats and the Qld titles , why couldn't they have postponed them for a month or two, bloody bastards.Iv'e got to spend a bit more time in the workshop, I need to complete the CCM ,and start my other 360 side pipe, and the twin port ,Easter will be here before we know it.

Offline d veda

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 05:59:43 pm »
Hope im still racing at 60. as for dry clutchs my 73 is the only bike i had no clutch problems with. All three of these cz's have dry. No clutch slip there just holeshots.

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »
Hi
I hope I can still be riding when I get Bill Watsons(W.A.) age , 81? or even Don Newell, 78? or Col Metcher or Billy Holme, (really old)