Author Topic: I wish I'd never bought my...  (Read 1965 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
I wish I'd never bought my...
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »
In a similar vein to Nathans post, except that you wished you had never bought.

I bought a new 77 DT 400 D, really wanted a TT / XT 500 but the dollars were just out of reach. Not long after a mate bought an XT 500 & it shat all over the DT in every way.

Getting into trials I bought a Montessa 304, it looked the goods. Single shock, disc brake, very trick & modern.
Biggest lemon I ever bought. DNFed my first few trials through break downs. Couldn't ever get it to run clean & I was about ready to weld the flywheel on it fell off so many times. Revenge was to trade it back to the shop I bought it from.

88 TT 350 was another disapointment, it never lived up to my expectations & couldnt' trust it any more when the cams starting jumping teeth.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

Re: I wish I'd never bought my...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:09:14 pm »

lms6201

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:01:13 am »
this bike is from my era , although  i had the enduro models  ,but always liked the mx , they now are very hard to find ,when i discovered evo some years ago i knew the perfect bike , of coarse everybody else knew the same !   bought it as a wreck , have had it complete for a year and a half , and have only got it to run properly in the past weeks , ( trying too hard to do it on a set budget) , ( i did say trying) , the time this thing has gobbled is mind blowing,  bad luck and poor decisions caused most of it , and my determination stopped me from passing it on , this account,s for the" i wish" part ,   goes like stink now but !  top gear wheelies at 130 plus , torque like an italjet 350 , quick easy starts ,  yz465g 

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:02 am »
1974  TM400  ::)   
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:30:55 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 02:11:46 pm »
85 Xr 250 think it was an RF ?

had it 4 weeks got stolen from inside the garge with a chain cut through.  not insured. spewed

Bought a second hand one 6 month later to replace it and fried the head, turns out it cracked, had mick trevena fix it up got it running again, cracked another head, fixed it up,  enduro'd it smashed my foot on a cement rock - sold it.

for some reason that model weasnt ment to be in my garage, pity cause they were a good looking model red with the blue seat, and then next one i think went to white and blue and an oil cooler
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 04:50:18 pm »

........... pity cause they were a good looking model red with the blue seat, and then next one i think went to white and blue and an oil cooler

yes that one was the RF model the 2nd of the dual carb models and quite fast for a 250 4 stroke.

i had one and at the time loved it. they ran way too hot and the oil was a critical factor. i ran mineral oil in mine till i dumped it after a 6hr pony express and it was boiling in the pan, i then ran castrol synthetic in it ever since. the next model did have the oil cooler and a single carb but i don't reckon they reved as hard.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:51:50 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Jimmy

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:47 pm »

I wish I'd never bought a Suzuki GT750 (waterbottle) the two-stroke triple.  It would have been okay except the one I bought was in boxes, and I was 18 and not wise to the ways of what a 'basket case' really was.  First thing I did was buy a battery and then got all the lights working, and spray painted the tank..  Next, I had the crankshaft fixed (the motor was in bits) and then, I ran out of money..  I was miles off ever having it running.

Years later I bought a good running one, that had a lovely three into one pipe - they sound amazing!

Wish I'd never bought a ratty 1997 KTM 250 that the seller was less than honest about..

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »
Some one told me those 85 XR's have the same bore & stroke as the modern 250 F's
I think Honda lengthened the stroke in later models to make them more reliable.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:37:55 pm »
Funny you mention that one. I bought a new 84 XR200. Couldn't keep the chain on it (Honda later upgraded the rear guide I think) and the valves wouldn't stay adjusted. Swapped it off for a new 125WR Husky.