Author Topic: Norrick Abe RIP  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Norrick Abe RIP
« on: October 08, 2007, 06:55:48 am »
Not VMX but a Japanese GP all round legend Norrick Abe was unfortunately killed in a road accident in Japan on the weekend.

God Speed Norrick
Jesus only loves two strokes

Doc

Re: Norrick Abe RIP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 07:20:48 am »
 :o jeez that's not a good way to start the week. Very very sad  :(

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 08:22:47 am »
What a pity - he was riding at the peak of his powers this year. :'(

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 08:30:26 am »
Norrick's been around for a while and he's one bloke i've always enjoyed watching and hearing about.
sad news indeed.
R.I.P. Norrick.
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:28:51 am »
I was covering the final 500 GP held at Eastern Creek and after practice I was in the pits observing the attitudes of the various riders. Abe arrived back at his pit and as soon as he got off his bike he was smothered by at least ten , probably more, cute little Japanese teenage girls who were screaming like he was a pop star, and a bus full of Japanese TV presenters and media. Straight off the bike he gave two or three TV interviews, all smiling and obviously funny going by the hysterical laughter from the Japanese fans and press. I then decided to keep an eye on him for the rest of the weekend and boy was I impressed.

I realised those little Japanese groupies didn't have a hope once I saw his Italian or French girlfriend and when I snapped off a photo of him kissing her in the pits he spotted me, gave me a wink, a big smile and a thumbs up! After the race I went to his pit and even though he didn't figure inthe results he got the most pit attention from the Japanese media (and those little groupies). He even asked me to send him a copy of the kiss shot I had taken earler!

He struck me as being a really nice bloke who was thouroughly enjoying his sport and time in the spotlight so it's so sad to hear of his death. He was far too young and full of passion and talent. In a time when our motor racing champions are becoming less flamboyant and more homogenised, losing a deadset character like Norrick is a tragedy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:31:04 am by firko »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:43:46 pm »
As someone else noted how ironic it was that he went racing at the highest level and had some serious get offs but was ultimately killed by some loser making an illegal U turn.
Nice story firko, glad to hear he was a top bloke.I had a bit on tape of  the official post race interview in Brazil, poor Kenny Jnr and Baggi were trying not to piss themselves with Norrick's animated Japlish."Lear tyre, big throttle, much spin I say Oh shit must not fall"
That's the way I'll remember him  ;D ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

oldmotoxer

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 07:54:01 pm »
I was covering the final 500 GP held at Eastern Creek and after practice I was in the pits observing the attitudes of the various riders. Abe arrived back at his pit and as soon as he got off his bike he was smothered by at least ten , probably more, cute little Japanese teenage girls who were screaming like he was a pop star, and a bus full of Japanese TV presenters and media. Straight off the bike he gave two or three TV interviews, all smiling and obviously funny going by the hysterical laughter from the Japanese fans and press. I then decided to keep an eye on him for the rest of the weekend and boy was I impressed.

I realised those little Japanese groupies didn't have a hope once I saw his Italian or French girlfriend and when I snapped off a photo of him kissing her in the pits he spotted me, gave me a wink, a big smile and a thumbs up! After the race I went to his pit and even though he didn't figure inthe results he got the most pit attention from the Japanese media (and those little groupies). He even asked me to send him a copy of the kiss shot I had taken earler!

He struck me as being a really nice bloke who was thouroughly enjoying his sport and time in the spotlight so it's so sad to hear of his death. He was far too young and full of passion and talent. In a time when our motor racing champions are becoming less flamboyant and more homogenised, losing a deadset character like Norrick is a tragedy.

Great story firko thanks and great rider, always enjoyed watching him ride. Gotta love them Italian Gals, God speed Norrick.  thanks for that

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:39:22 pm »
 His character caught my attention and gave me joy too ! and hey I am not that into road racing. What a sad loss ride on forever now
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 06:54:28 am »
I'd have thought with MotoGP coming up directly that Norick's passing would have made the news..really irks me how motorcycling of any type except Bandito's and the likes get so little coverage unless an Aussie makes world champion >:( lots of small Abe vids on youtube with a few showing Norifumi giving Mighty Mick the hurry up. I have a poster of Norick from '87, it never meant a great deal until now  :(