Author Topic: Hey - I finally did it !!! CRC Debut !  (Read 4110 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
Hey - I finally did it !!! CRC Debut !
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:45:34 AM »
After years of taking sonny Jim around to race minikarna and assorted MX tracks and TALKING about getting back onto a race track myself I have finally done it !!! This forum is full of guys talking it up and now I can hold my head a bit higher knowing I get out and do it.

With five and a half months to go before hitting fifty two the mighty MC440T and I hit the dirt and had a f....... ball. Saturday's practice gave me the thrill I was expecting, blasting around on the sweetest old dirt bike I could wish for but sadly the other 440GP I bought from big k died half a lap into another practice round when the gear lever snapped off halfway along it's length and had to be parked for the weekend. From the time I hit the track on Saturday to tying down the bikes on Sunday I had the time of my life as I hadn't raced since I was a kid on a self bought CR125m when I was 17 - bloody fantastic !!!

While most of my riding probably could be classified as requiring substantial improvement, lol, a midfield finish in the Pre 85 made me feel fantastic and has me well and truly hooked. The other races ? - well I was still smiling yesterday so I was a winner either way!

After going along to some of HEAVEN's events over the years I have wanted to be properly involved in the VMX scene and not just a fence sitter and it's a great feeling to be involved with much more to come I hope. While riding the trusty 250EXC in the mountains is a blast racing is even better I reckon.

For all of you guys out there who have talked about getting out there, irrespective of your ability, age, domestic subservience (ie under the thumb, lol) or budget just do it NOW. In my job I see poor buggers who never get to realise whatever dreams they may have had and life is too short.

If your fitness is shit racing will also make sure that gets some attention and it may just extend your life.

Does anyone know how John on the RM370 got on after his little get off and the trip to hospital ? Hopefully he can remember what day it is now  :o

Dave Mac - Happy as Larry  ;D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

two_dogs

Re: Hey - I finally did it !!! CRC Debut !
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:24:14 PM »
Dave

What number were you ?

I'll post some pics up

Andrew

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »
G'day Andrew - thanks mate - #36 - 81 Maico

Please be kind and post a good one !!! Should have been easy as I wasn't going too quick, lol !!!

Cheers

Dave Mac  :D
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:26 PM »
John picked up his ute and bike from my place yesterday morning, he was ok except his right leg was pretty banged up. I spoke to him last night and his leg appears to be ok just needs some physo on it. The bike was damaged, but nothing serious.
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
Good to hear he came away OK - from what everyone who saw the stack it was pretty spectacular and so he must be lucky !

The bike sure looked like it dug in but nothing bad

Dave Mac

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »
Dave....Great to see you finally get the other "stuff" out of the way and get back on the dirt for a few skids. It's been quite a few years since you bought that '81 250 from me which started your little Maico fetish. Are you going to CD6 ?

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »
Hey Firko!

G'day mate - you're not wrong about the time frame nor the fetish !!!

CD6 will sap my funds a bit too much so I'll save them for Clarence. All being well I might have another Maico rider with me - you've met him! All being well - and if the VMX boys do it next year, CD7 will be budgeted for and I'll be there flogging my blasting services and having a ride (tax deduction?)

Cheers and thanks for converting me to the 'dark side', lol!

Dave Mac  ;D

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

two_dogs

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
Hi Dave

I don't have one of you in the race. Only at the start (which I imagine you blitzed)

Andrew

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 08:36:12 PM »
Hey Dave,
             Great script. I second it all the way to the track and back. No use waiting till we can `afford it' and we are just too old and stiff to have a half a go. The best thing has been to build something that was destined for the tip, into a viable EVO racer, drink beer with a bunch of great blokes and watch my 15yo (#18) doing what I did when I was 15 on the same bike (only he has better style).

Really good to hear Jon on the RM370 is out of the woods. I spoke to him just before the off and he said he hadn't raced in 17 years. He was quick and on a beautifully turned out bike. Really hope he's up for the next ride.

All the best

Pete
#100%
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »
Thanks Andrew !

The start was OK - the finish less an memorable, lol (but I can only get better as they say!)

My main idea was to have fun and I had heaps of that.

Pete - thanks for your words and encouragement. Hopefully more guys will come out of the woodwork instead of talking as I did and the idea of salvaging old bikes and turning them into viable fun machines wouldn't be lost on anyone, and I too am looking forward to having my son along except that he will TOTALLY axe me  :D

Lets hope John is ready to go in four weeks when we hit the mountain track

Dave Mac  :D

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline monte34

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »
Not just a VMX debut for me but a MX debut. As a long time road bike rider and being from a country town, formal MX events were just things you read about or heard about from City friends. Dirt bikes for me were just another form of transport on friends farms etc, until about 20 years ago when I bought a Cooper Enduro while on holidays in QLD. I've still got that bike but introduced the kids to PCYC to get them interested in two wheel pursuits. So finally at 51 for some reason it seemed like a good time to have a go at VMX for myself.
Mac and I both had a look at Queanbeyan last month and bit the bullet for the CRC. It was great fun and I shared the event with my 16 year old who rode the same bike with me , the other Cooper MX. I got one ride on Saturday and was due to ride on Sunday until Billy ran low on fuel, got a bit lean and broke a ring. Such is life, but a good time was had by all, including 2 stints flagging! If there are any shots of #85 or #285 that would be proof that old dogs can learn new tricks!
Rob ;D ;D

two_dogs

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »
Rob

I like your style.

Andrew

Offline monte34

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
Much as i'd like to take the credit, that's my son Billy, obviously treating his father's things gently! ::) :D
Rob

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »
quote=Not just a VMX debut for me but a MX debut. As a long time road bike rider and being from a country town, formal MX events were just things you read about or heard about from City friends. Dirt bikes for me were just another form of transport on friends farms etc, until about 20 years ago when I bought a Cooper Enduro while on holidays in QLD. I've still got that bike but introduced the kids to PCYC to get them interested in two wheel pursuits. So finally at 51 for some reason it seemed like a good time to have a go at VMX for myself........................................................
After years of taking sonny Jim around to race minikarna and assorted MX tracks and TALKING about getting back onto a race track myself I have finally done it !!! This forum is full of guys talking it up and now I can hold my head a bit higher knowing I get out and do it.

quote=With five and a half months to go before hitting fifty two the mighty MC440T and I hit the dirt and had a f....... ball. Saturday's practice gave me the thrill I was expecting, blasting around on the sweetest old dirt bike I could wish for but sadly the other 440GP I bought from big k died half a lap into another practice round when the gear lever snapped off halfway along it's length and had to be parked for the weekend. From the time I hit the track on Saturday to tying down the bikes on Sunday I had the time of my life as I hadn't raced since I was a kid on a self bought CR125m when I was 17 - bloody fantastic !!!

welcome to the world of fun and vmx

ENJOY and LIVE LIFE
Best is in the West !!