Author Topic: Fork probs !!  (Read 1399 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fork probs !!
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:34:41 pm »
O.K.  suspension guru's,

Forks are making a really loud metal to metal sound on rebound on braking bumps.
No noise on compression or rebound on landing from jumps, or any where else, just when forks are compressed already whilst braking.
Damping rods are tight.
Forks oil 100mm from top collapsed, springs out.
1986 40mm Husky.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Fork probs !!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »
Sounds like they are topping out on rebound. Could be a couple of things..Husky forks have a nylon piston ring around the top of the damper rod, when that is worn the forks can rebound too quick and top out. Do they use a top out spring on the damper rod? Is that possibly missing? They may use a hydraulic top out system instead of a spring. I assume they have enough oil in them.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:42:59 pm »
That's what I thought at first, but then it occured to that it was only happening under brakes when the forks would be about half compressed all the time. It only happens when under braking and hitting a succesion of braking bumps.
If it was topping wouldn't it be prominent when leaving the face of a jump when the forks compress and suddenly rebound as the wheel leaves the ground.
I haven't been that far internally to know what they use for "top out" I would assume some kind of a spring.

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 08:25:15 am »
Huskys dont use top out springs.  They have a plastic washer as Johnny says that causes hydraulic cushioning on full fork extension.  If your alloy damper rod is a fraction worn there may not be enough cushioning.  If your fork oil is forked there may not be enough cushioning.  I had the same problem in my 84 WR and cured it with 20W fork oil.  10W and 15W were no good.  Fork action is great with 20W.  Good luck.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:11:33 am »
Yeah Walter,
Are they the ones on the Husky Parts web site?
If so are they avaliable through M.P.E.? Had been contemplating them for a while,looks like the decision has been made for me.

PEZBerg,
Does 20wt slow down rebound much?

Thanks everyone, I'll see how I get on.