Author Topic: Cooma Amcross  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Cooma Amcross
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:12:17 pm »
I heard a rumour that a decent contingent of vintage bikes turned up at the Amcross on the weekend and there might even be a photo in Dirt Action. I also hear the boys gave a good account of themselves. Wish I'd been there to see it...

Re: Cooma Amcross
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:52:17 am »
oz555ktm was there on his '81 250, John on that sweet RB CR250, Eric on his '83 yz, Snowy76 on his RE and me out to race test the RG.  Plus some guy on a nice RM500 (who gave no quarter to any of us thru corners....). The Dirt Action photographer did get us together for a group pic for novelty value in the next edition. 

John had a bit of a hard time out on the track, spinning out and giving his thigh a good biff first race then tweaking the knee second race.  Snowy wasn't sold on grasstrack at least not tracks rutted up by hard revving juniors the day before - our bikes just don't cope well with the washboard stutters in and out of every corner, just a shame that's the way they go.  Eric and I diced for most of the day in mid to backpack, and Myers just left us for dead, very much mid pack to his credit.  And don't think having a 45+ class gives you an edge - there's plenty of old racers out there on modern bikes twisting the wick hard!

I really enjoyed it even tho they'd shortened the fifth gear straights a bit (fourth gear only....boo).  Best bit was the yarning between races tho - thank god for comfy camping chairs!

Just wisht the likes of Pete Hetherington were still around racing MC490s - they were the days....

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 02:26:44 pm »
So come on Twisty, what do you think of the RG now you have had it a bit ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 03:28:28 pm »
I think he's pretty rapt. I have ridden it and I think it's brilliant. I guess if I rode it longer, or if I was familiar with modern bikes, I could spot it's flaws, but to me it had excellent suspension, good steering, brilliant power, great ergos, etc etc. I'd have one in a shot... if there was a class to race it in.

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:07:27 am »
Cooma club were up against it with the very high winds we had for the last to weeks, thay were never going to keep any moisture in the track, as the day went on I was slowly coming to terms with Hugh braking and accel bumps and the flat out 4th gear tank slappers :o even managed to beat a couple of young ladies home in one race{think thay were sending text messages},had a great day and will definitely do again next year.
Couple of CR`s

oz555ktm

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 12:07:01 am »
Yea I had a Good Time . Yea I was well into the Mid Pack.
the track did cut up a bit  .
But now I am in fine turn of the Heaven round in 2 weeks The Evo Challenge

Hear is Me Ripping up a Berm.  Ktm Power

http://www.mayhem-images.com/gallery/v/amcross07/cooma/sun/ROB_0413_001.jpg.html

Hear Is Snowy on hes Honda

http://www.mayhem-images.com/gallery/v/amcross07/cooma/sun/ROB_0418.JPG.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:12:07 am by oz555ktm »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:31:02 pm »
Wow, I'm impressed; I couldn't possibly ride with that huge 'copyright wreath' draped over the front end. ;)
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 08:42:45 pm »
Was a bit tricky at first, but did`nt seem to slow up Dennis,Eric or Gezza?
Couple of CR`s

Rosco400

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 10:22:21 pm »
That cant be u snowy, that blokes riding upright and not having a little lay down/rest on the track ;D