Author Topic: is this safe to open?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
is this safe to open?
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:55 pm »
i got a email suposedly from paypal but im not sure its really them or if its a dodgy email. it was sent to my junk email box and the address it was from is [email protected]
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: is this safe to open?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:33:40 pm »
when in doubt, bin it!!,you can always ,if, you have a paypal account ,log on & check??,i like where it's always addressed to undisclosed receipitants,fuggging dodgy,like they don't have your address?? ::),hth, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:48:41 pm »
Most reputable online operators nowadays provide a 'mailbox' with your account, eg your bank or eBay or Paypal will have an Inbox after you login. Trust only those messages in there, and even then only if you have logged in by going to their site, NOT following a link in an email. The only emails you should consider genuine are those that are in response to something you did eg bidding on an item or whatever. Any email asking you to confirm details or update details or whatever should be deleted. When uncertain, login and check there. I delete all emails asking me anything as a matter of course. The only emails I ever click a link in are those from eBay telling me about an auction or whatever, and even that is a dumb thing to do. My suggestion - NEVER click on a link in any email no matter how trusted.

PJR

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:10:46 pm »
Whenever you get one of these emails suposedly from Ebay or PayPal and you're not sure whether to open it, forward it on to either [email protected] ir [email protected]  .They'll let you know within a few minutes wheter the email is kosher or not.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 04:19:16 pm »
If all else fails in communication, then there is the good old dog and bone  ;D   ;)
or post.
cheers alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 05:11:16 pm »
normally these things are obvious when they are an address like [email protected] for example but because it looked more genuine i wasnt sure. Anyway i have doubts so stuff it i wont look at it. if they really want to contact me im sure they will try agian.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Oggy Doggy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 06:05:46 pm »
Leith, red devil has given you the correct method to deal with this stuff. Both of those siites are the official PayPal and Ebay anti scam (antI phish actually) sites. They have a full time team tracing these "phish" emails. I get at least two a dodgy ebay or paypal emails week and always forward them to the spoof @ sites. Give it a go and see what they say.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:14:47 pm »
i have no way to forward to it unless i click on it and mark it as safe but then something bad could happen so im not taking the risk.

it says 'This message may be a phishing scam' and has a red shield so im just deleting it and going with my instincts on this one. ive never been contacted by them through my junk mail before so will trust that this isnt them either.

thanks for the tips guys..