Author Topic: Historic rego nsw  (Read 2948 times)

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Historic rego nsw
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »
Has anyone got historic rego on the vinduro bikes? I believe you have to be a member of a club but does anyone know what else is involved and what it costs?

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Historic rego nsw
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »
basically bike has to be over 30yrs old in NSW,25 in Vic?, i think a club has to have been established more than two years to qualify for club plate scheme,you could ask around see what clubs would accept a vinduro type bike,i guess there'd be a few "non main stream" (read classic/vintage) that would welcome you?,costs are pretty minimal,can't remember exactly initial plate cost,($100ish??)but renewals are $60 something,i have an SR500 on club plates,(i'm 1 of 2 machine examiners for my local club Gosford),hth,cheers mick
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »
Other states might be different but in SA we have a pretty strict system. the whole historic rego thing here is basically set up with cars in mind but thats the way it is.

You have to join a club that uses the historic rego scheme and have your bike inspected/approved.

the bike has to be at least 30 years old
the bike has to be standard and look original (no hot rodding/customizing, everything has to look period and OEM. The rules were put in place to not allow people with old customized Holdens and hot rods getting historic rego)

Paint has to be right colour

exahausts have to be original, except for mufflers. its a silly rule that follows on from the cars which are not allowed to have extractors but the muffler box can be changed so we interpret that for bikes as being that they have no 4 into 1 or 2 into 1 etc but you can change mufflers but really should be era sympathetic. At work we had to knock back a GT380 as it had expansion chambers so that couldnt be put on the historic rego. Onwer went and sourced original pipes and then the bike was passable.

Once you get the form to say your bike has been approved by the approved inspector in the club you then go to your rego office and get it registered on historic scheme.

then you take the rego papers back to the club rego officer. he will stamp the rego lable with club stamp and issue you a log book.

with the log book you have to fill it out BEFORE you go for a ride and it must be carried with you. all you do is write a breif note on the approximate area your riding to/around.

if the police pull you over with your book not filled out, then look out! the fines are big and your considered unregistered if your log book isnt filled out.

you get 90 uses a year and the whole cost of the rego is way cheaper than  normal full rego, but the downside is the bike has to be very original and look right.

you still have your normal rego plate with what ever the number you previously had was or what ver the rego place issues you if you need a whole new number plate. There is no 'club plates', just the rego lable will say Historic rego. Yes any bike can be done, road, dirt, vinduro, trail or what ever as long as it meets the requirements.

Any way thats how we do it in SA. Personally i would rather just do full rego, and do what ever mods to my bikes that i like and ride them as many times as i like, but it is good for people who dont ride some of their bikes that often and full rego is a waste of some money.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:30:13 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:36:06 AM »
Thanks for that info guys. I want to restore the dt360 and put historuc rego in it. Something I'll only fire up once in a blue moon so at least I can take it for a quick blap!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:27:06 PM by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline BETRIC

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:01 PM »
Frank I had my Cooper Enduro on Historic rego with the Heaven club a few years ago, I found it was not worth the hassles, but that's another story, my Cooper has had full NSW rego for the last couple of years ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:16:00 PM by BETRIC »
DELTEK, 72 MINI TRAIL, 73/4 XR75, 77/78 XR75, DG MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, REDLINE FRAME XR75, PK RACING MONOSHOCK FRAME XR75, JWRP XR FRAME, SL70K1, 81 CR80RB, TY80A/B, YZ80A/B/D, GT50/80A, GTMX80A, 73 GTMX, GT1, COOPER MX, COOPER ENDURO,MX360A,MX250B,YZ125X MX100, 72 XL250, TC100,TL125, TY250C,IT250J