Author Topic: xr 75 how too???  (Read 1412 times)

rosedog

xr 75 how too???
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:24:49 pm »
 hi all, well this is my first real post on here so i hope i dont stuff it up.. 
can some body tell me how to remove the fuel tap from my xr 75???  i have taken the screws out of the fuel switch, removed the bottom bowl, and all i can see is a bit of a filter(which is blocked up), it looks like a pop rivet or something holds it all togethor, but i dont want to drill it all out and not be able to replace it... in my service manual, it shows a different style of fuel tap, in my manual it has a spout coming off the tank, and the fuel tap screws on with a big nut.. (hope that made sense..)

maybe i should learn how to post a pic.... ???

also what have you guys used to repair and treat the inside of rusty fuel tanks????
cheers all, rocky....

lc4

Re: xr 75 how too???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:34:17 pm »
Up behind the screen should be a phillips head screw.
If the rust is not too bad get a bottle of Septone rust converter from Super cheap Auto and pour that into the tank and give it a good shake for 5-10 minutes (depending on how bad rust is) then flush it out with plenty of fresh water.Shake out as much water as possible then get your wifes hair drier and dry out the inside,once dry pour some 2 stroke oil in and give it a good shake to coat the inside and prevent further rust until its time to use it.

DR

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »
Hello Rosedog, I've been toying with an XR80 for the past couple of days :) It may pay to fit a small inline fuel filter as well, a type of cheap insurance but not guarantee'd to filter out all rust which is more abrasive than one cares to know. Take extra time to totally clean out the tank is the ticket ;)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:47:05 pm by DR »

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:53:29 pm »
If you want to get rid of any left over water put a bit of metho in the tank and leave it in the sun when it evapourates  :-\ it will take the left over water with it.jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:13:18 pm »
rusty tanks i fill and soak with Hydrochloric acid or brick cleaner from the hardware store which works very well.
once its clean, tip out acid
hose out with water out the tap
have a bucket or hot water ready
fill tank with hot water
swish around, then tip out
continue to work as quickly as possible.
then tip in a liter of metho and swish around and tip out.
then tip in a clean bottle of metho, swish around then tip out
then pour in a half a jar full of paint thinners, about 250-500mls will do
swish around, then pour out. paint thinners helps to dry out the tank.
then get your air gun on a compressed air line and blow the tank completley dry.

if you have done it correctly and quick enough you will be left with a bare grey metal surface with no light orange surface rust

this is the method i have used for years

with tanks with severe chunky rust inside, i may have to leave with acid soaking for several days. with some loose nuts/bolts inside and shake it around to agitate the rust. i will also tip out acid and flush out with hose, then check inside with a mirror on a stick and a torch.. if still rusty then back in goes the acid. till its clean.

usually, but not always, with tanks this bad the cleaning process creates pin holes when the rust is removed and the tank requires a liner anyway. so then i fit the RED,WHITE,BLUE tank liner kit sold/distributed by Ficeda Accessories and made in Tasmania. this will fill any pin holes. its a very good liner.

i recently did a old A10 BSA tank and it was so badly rusted. had to soak it for 2 or 3 days to get all the rust out. one of the worst ones ive seen.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:17:45 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

rosedog

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 02:03:32 am »
cheers guys.. i was going to put the liner in it, but now i may not.. the rust isnt that bad, just a light orange coating.. tank was mainly full of what looked like dirt, which i think is just the bad fuel and bacteria... i will try your suggestion LWC3077, ultimately i want the tank like new inside although i will be doing as DR suggested and fitting a filter...

can any one suggest a replacement fuel tap? brand? where to buy??