Author Topic: kx 80 lowering  (Read 1602 times)

lms6201

kx 80 lowering
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:42:21 am »
not vmx , except for when brought along on familoy days , i bought a 98 kx 80 for my son but when i got it home it turns out to be higher than older daughters 96 kx 100 , is it possible to lower it , perhaps by making longer dog bones (the two linkage side plates) ? and of coarse  dropping the fork clamps ( should get 45mm there) or perhaps someone knows of a lowerig linkage available , all advise appreciated ,   when did 80,s get so dam tall ?

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: kx 80 lowering
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 01:55:07 pm »
is it a big wheel model because putting small wheels on will lower it heaps
MUGEN power

lms6201

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 06:33:55 am »
destroking would also mean a shorter spring ?  or possibly get it in the pre load would only be for 6 or 8 mounths     ,   17 inch frount wheel model  , the kx 100 has 19 inch so i think it would be the same as a big wheel 80 , would that be about right ?

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:41:37 am »
I bought a big wheel TTR 125 for my son a few years ago that was too tall for him, but I gambled on being able to lower it so I didn't have to upgrade every second year.
I got away with it by drilling another hole in the frame for the rear shock about 20mm further up and backing off the pre-load.
In the front I could only raise the forks about 10mm because of the handlebars.
Upon inspection inside the forks I found a pre-load spacer about 125mm long so I found some tube the same size & cut them 100 long. The original spacers sit in my toolbox ready to go back in one day.
Overall I dropped the seat height about 40-45mm
Wasp would probably be horrified at my budget measures but with my son's light weight it worked out pretty good, but then he doesn't race it which might show up some shortcomings. Even with my 100kg it doesn't bottom out harshly on small jumps.
Not far off now till I put it back to stock.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

lms6201

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:20:40 am »
   i was thinking about that , just let it sag down a bit , i can get a fair bit in the clamps , just the rear to deal with