Author Topic: powder coating a fuel tank?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline bigtoe

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
powder coating a fuel tank?
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:27:26 pm »
Hi, can a tank be powder coated ? is it a good idea or bad ? what if you needed to retouch it , can you ?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: powder coating a fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:30:53 pm »
you get what you pay for. if you want cheap you would be better off doing it with spray cans i reckon. i wouldnt recommend it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:44:37 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Doc

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »
I don't think there is any reason why a tank can't be powder coated but I can't say I know anyone whose done it. I think the finish would be a little sub standard as powder coating on large flat areas seems to level out to an almost orange peel effect. Paint on the otherhand if done nicley looks a million bucks ;)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 05:06:16 pm »
I had the fuel tank of my Honda S90 Sports powder coated back in 1999, along with the frame, fork shrouds, chain guard etc. It came up as quite to quite a good finish and with a bit of polishing didn't look too bad, however, the tank has large chrome steel panels on it so that there was never a huge amount of the powder coating actually visible.

The finish you get from powder coating varies with the business doing the job, some are very good and others are average, it is just a case of finding the good ones.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

STW996

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 05:37:34 pm »
Hi bigtoe,

I do powder coating and it is like everthing if the prep work is done right will come out near as good as paint, I say near as good because a good painter will beat you hands down. I have not yet done a tank but have done a sprint car frame with a base coat and clear metallic and it came out very good.

Depending on where you are the cost to do in a base colour (black, white etc) should not be more than around 25 bucks so pretty cheap for a very good finish.

Have a look at my website under products and you will see some steel cases we powder coat bare metal no prep and has a very good shine to it.

www.wiltec.net.au

Shane