Author Topic: VB250 - A Comtempory View.  (Read 2344 times)

mx250

VB250 - A Comtempory View.
« on: February 21, 2009, 06:35:16 am »

"Even with its soft rear suspension, vicious understeer and Spanish reliability, Jody loved his 1977 wrinkle-fin Montesa 250VB. He called it "a guilty pleasure."

"My secret pleasure was the 1977 Montesa 250VB. Deep inside, I knew that this wasn't a very good bike. But when I raced it, I forgot all about the Spanish understeer, Spanish metallurgy and Spanish reliability. When General Franco died, Montesa motocross bikes soon followed."

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=E6A65C35AA6C449A9BCA818312F30AC0

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VB250 - A Comtempory View.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:52 am »
"Vicious understeer" was probably cos of too soft rear suspension! (raking out the front end)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:11:16 pm »
With modern quality shocks, triple clamps dropped an inch on the forks, my VB360 is a surprisingly good turner, even with me on board.  And as for Spanish quality & reliability, I have raced or owned 10 different MX Bultacos from 100cc, 125, 250, 325, 360 & 370, Montesas like GP250 & 360, VR250 & VB360, and an Ossa Stiletto 230, and have Never been bailed up - sometimes a bit cranky to start, but never anything else, given regular maintenance.
Admittedly, and it's only my opinion, the Montesas seem to be the best built, but can be the heaviest as well.

Since I'm on this track, where are the posts from Bultaco or Ossa owners, this isn't just for Montesas, is it? 

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:05:22 pm »
i find that strange i reckon montesas are one of the best turning bikes
as good as suzukis thats for sure ???

yeah bultaco and ossas not much from them
you think there would be posts like

how do i start my bultaco ::)
or has anyone seen a ossa phantom anywere ::)

mike i dont think montys are heavy they seem really
light compared to some of my other bikes ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:27:59 pm »
Is this the same Jody that ran in the Tassie Nats last year.
thanks & cheers alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:31:44 pm »
no its jody weisel from motocross action magazine
in usa ;D
follow me to first turn

mx250

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 09:50:18 pm »
Interesting to hear your comments guys. I haven't ridden a Monty yet let alone a VB, but from the reading a wide range of articles etc. I would agree with you. One of the consistent comments I've read about the VB is that it turned or steered well.

As to the reliability the best summary I've heard is that the only thing that will kill a Monty is an air leak at the carby (running lean).

I think Jody's implication that Montesa died when they lost the Trade Protection of Franco is untrue and condescending. In fact I think quite the opposite was the case. I think the Spanish design and engineering was excellent and brilliant in its simplicity and efficiency. The Spanish engineers and their understanding of two stroke technology, and their ability to get a strong, wide, 'accessable' power suitable for 'heavy track' European motocross, surpassed the Japanese at the time.

The biggest limitation to Montesa was Franco's Trade Protection policies which forced Montesa, and Bultaco and Ossa, to use Spanish components where they could rather than just fitting the best they could. Being force to buy Spanish forced up their price without giving them the quality. Franco's policies also probably starved them of capital at critical stages in the early '70 when they were having some competition success. Lack of capital also stopped them from exploiting the world youth market that was exploding at the time.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 09:51:18 pm »
thanks & cheers alison

look up the link Alison  :).

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:13:13 pm »
thanks & cheers alison

look up the link Alison  :).

Go to look outside my own country sometimes  ::)
Very good read and special times for Jody Weisel, USA .
Best is in the West !!

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:09:53 am »
Haven't ridden a VB for a couple of years, but the last 250 we had turned well, had a great engine and handled pretty nice. It was a completely standard '77 model. Not quite as good as the AW326 but not far off. I've only ridden the '78 VB360 up the road a couple of times but couldn't fault it in that short time. The engine left a good impression on me though.
Hey Holeshot, I see a Phantom, Mk7 Pursang and VR250 every day. A few orientals, some vikings and Austrians as well.
Cheers,
K