Author Topic: Wanted clutch plates  (Read 2277 times)

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Wanted clutch plates
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »
I am in desperate need of 3 all steel driven clutch plates for the big clutch on a 1973 400 maico. Have tried all the usual suspects & had no luck if anyone has some new or secondhand in good nick I will be happy to pay. Thanks

Lewo81

Re: Wanted clutch plates
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 06:23:36 pm »
Hi, some time ago I had some clutch lazer cut at a local shop.  I could check on pricing for you, the steel used was marginally thinner than standard, still using them in my bike although must be careful not to warp them on assembly / dis-assembly. Maybe they would get you going until genuine ones found? Cheers, Lewo.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:43:47 am »
Afriend of mine here in the US is also having the same issue-Canadian Maico has them reproduced, but is currently out-and that's about it for nos or repro. I have been checking used sources for him as well-to no avail as yet. He is considering a small clutch conversion, but that would take a different cover, and shafts in addition to the clutch assy.
Another choice for these would be a later big clutch-at least the Barnett plates are available, though they will swell in use-causing some drag. I think we may get the Barnett set-and mix  fibers with stells we have to get the proper height until Canadian Maico has the others available.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:10:44 am »
Thanks for the info it would be nice to find out how much the remake would be, as this seems to be the only way forward at the moment again thanks. Big Mac

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:17:15 am »
ive got 2 older big clutch plates and a complete 79 400 clutch and the plates look the same mabeee some later model ones will fit i will take some pics when i get back off the bits ive got

kristan

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »
if you are going to reproduce them, water cutting is the way to go! no heat and almost zero distorsion. Would be worth getting a price as is is not as expensive as you might think! if you had a number of them made up you could sell them on and get yourself a set for free!

Lewo81

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:47:34 pm »
Spoke to the lazer shop today. $50 for 3 plates. Sounded a bit dear but depends on how badly you want/need them. I have some spares left, if you want them let me know and I`ll get replacements cut. No problems if you do or don`t want to go this way.Cheers, Lewo.