Author Topic: American Eagles  (Read 843 times)

Tony T

American Eagles
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:03:44 pm »
Just read in another thread about American Eagles.
Don't know anything about them, but I kinda remember reading somewhere that they weren't American at all. Kawasaki???
Is that right?
No reason for asking. Just interested.  ;D

mx250

Re: American Eagles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:12:55 pm »
Just read in another thread about American Eagles.
Don't know anything about them, but I kinda remember reading somewhere that they weren't American at all. Kawasaki???
Is that right?
No reason for asking. Just interested.  ;D
American Eagle was a 'badge engineering' band used by an American importer/distributor who used the brand on several road and off road bikes, from several different small manufacturers. The American Eagle you are referring to is probably the English made Sprite which was a badly cloned Husky engine with British proprietary parts. It was also sold in Australia as the Alron.

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=331946

http://americaneaglecollector.smugmug.com/gallery/5990474_72Tfa#374216768_P4BN8

I think Firko recently reported here that his friend Jonesey recently imported one.

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:24 pm »
I also remember talking about them with Rick Sieman late one night after a lot of beer and I'm sure he said Kawasaki.
But I might have dreamed that too.................  :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 08:32:58 pm by Tony T »

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 08:31:10 pm »
Tony..You're partly right. The 250 model had a Kawasaki F31M engine. Ken Smith has a pretty good example and Jonesy has 2 405 models and a rolling frame in need of a 250 Kawasaki engine. Smithy, Jonesy and I have been looking closely into these bikes and reckon they're pretty cool. Very weel made with quality cycleparts galore. They're not for everyone but if you're into something out of the ordinary, an American Eagle/Sprite/Alron/BVM may be your ideal cup of tea.
This is the American Eagle 405 Alan Jones unpacked on Tuesday. Not bad for $250.

I wrote the following little piece for the McCook Racing site. It explains all. We've learned a bit more about subtle frame differences since I wrote it but it will give you a pretty idea of what the bikes are about.
http://www.mccookracing.com/articles/firko_greatSpriteScam.htm

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:41:12 pm »
Thanks Mark. I'm just starting to understand why you're so into old dirt bike history.  ;D
Even if I never own any of these, bikes like this are pretty interesting.
And seriously cool for $250.00!!!!

firko

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:57:13 pm »
Tony...Alan and I have been involved with the vintage movement since 1986 and it's fair to say we had become a little bored and jaded, he with his speedway and dirt track Jawas and me with my Maicos. We'd been pretty much dedicated to those one brands for 20 years and had run out of inspiration. Since we've stepped out of our comfort zone and started playing with these oddball bikes, we've both picked up a new enthusiasm for the sport and have learned a motza about bikes that we had never previously given a moments thought to. While he still loves his Jawas and ESOs and I still have a fondness for my Maicos, our new projects like his Bridgestone 175 twin powered Tyran and 2 Sprite 405s (one in American Eagle guise and the other an Alron clone)or my Hindall Ducati, Boyd and Stellings Suzuki, Cheney Yamaha and soon to start 250 Maico powered Rickman have kept us both highly amused and still involved in the sport. What we're doing isn't for everyone but if anyone who is reading this feels that they're tired of working on the same old same old, why not try a bike out of left field. It works for us.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:02:49 am by firko »