Author Topic: CR250RE head gasket  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Hotelmoto

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
CR250RE head gasket
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »
CR experts

Very new to VMX and having a ball.my project bike for viper round this year (can't wait to meet you and follow you all around the tracks) is a CR250RE 84, brought the bike as a neat original, the guy said he did full engine rebuild and it lost compession so he parked it, I got it very cheap, take it home put a new head gasket in it and away it goes...But the head has like a small indentation where it blew out not enough to machine it, will wet and dry it out.

there are two different head gaskets one from a local dealer made from copper, and another honda genuine made from gasket material. What do you guys use ?

Thanks

Hotelmoto
Viper #142 

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CR250RE head gasket
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:19:33 pm »
it should be the gasket material one
MUGEN power

STW996

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 06:56:34 am »
I have 3 off these bikes and have always found the genuine (if you can get one) or good quality aftermarket gasket is a must, also don't just look at the head the barrel can and does at time get a warp in it (if you have any on going problems).

Shane

squirtmoto

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:54 pm »
another good trick I use on all head gaskets is using VHT copper gasket cement. You can get it from any descent auto shop at aprox $16 It will reduce any gasket leaks including minor warpage.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:46 am »
yes i was wondering about that myself - when i put in new top end on my RG, i found the old head gasket was metal but oem is paper (with metal rim).  so the copper one is aftermarket i presume?  i've heard all metal is better for better heat transmission from barrel to head.