Author Topic: A new low in Ebay stupidity.  (Read 6044 times)

mainline

Re: A new low in Ebay stupidity.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 05:31:34 PM »
i find it interesting that the Nathan's seller who apparently had no idea how the whole "free postage" thing happened on his listing, managed to work out the "request to cancel" arrangement, and refunding paypal payments in the blink of an eye. Almost as if he was hoping to send you an invoice but you got in too early and paid him first.

As far as some of the O/S guys are concerned, I paid Joe from Vintage Dirt and Trail $8 to ship a kickstart lever and pivot (which is an awkward size and has a bit of weight to it). While Speed and Sport (who I should say have been pretty good in the past) wanted $24.50 to ship a plastic front sprocket cover. Apparently the box instead of the package makes a big difference.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »
plus many commercial companies will charge handling fees and or the shipping is just worked out at 25% of the cost of item
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 06:37:36 PM »
i got a box of gt80 parts weighing a good 5 kilo for 54.95US i think that is pretty reasonable considering you see one part for 30US. you have to make sure that you ask before buying i have got stung for a few a parts because i didnt ask prior to auction end.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 07:03:06 PM »
i cant find that page stew, where is it? link?

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/user-agreement.html

The important bit:
When you enter into a transaction you create a legally binding contract with another member, unless the item is listed in a category under the Non-Binding Bid Policy (located at: http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/non-binding-bid.html) or the transaction is prohibited by law or by this Agreement or our Policies. You are responsible for ensuring that you comply with your obligations to that other member. If you do not, you may become liable to him or her.

And if you follow the link contained within that quote, you get:

Certain types of items cannot be sold through the auction or fixed price format on our site. Therefore, ... placing a bid neither constitutes a legally binding contract or obligates the seller to sell the item. The high bidder is not obligated to purchase the item either. If you list these types of items on eBay, the listing cannot result in a binding contract to buy and sell the item, but is merely a means of introducing interested potential sellers to interested potential buyers. Furthermore, insincere bidding is not permitted.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:
    *Limits on account privileges
    *Account suspension
    *Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
    *Loss of PowerSeller status

Some Examples

The following types of items must be listed in the appropriate "non-binding bid" category (if such category exists), and may only be listed to solicit indications of interest for the item:

*Real Estate (e.g., homes, real property)
    *Businesses (e.g., stock sale of businesses)

Mary is selling her house and has received many bids on the property. The listing closes with a high bidder and Mary is ready to close the sale. Unfortunately, the high bidder decides not to complete the transaction. Upset with this buyer, Mary tries to file for Final Value Fee credit through the Unpaid Item process. Mary, the seller, is in violation of the non-binding bid policy because bids on real estate are not contracts.

Example of a binding bid: Steve is bidding on a new rug for his living room and he wins the online auction. Later, he finds out that the rug is not big enough to cover his floor and he wishes to back out of the transaction, claiming the bid was non-binding. Steve, the buyer, is in violation of the Unpaid Item policy because the rug he was bidding on is not covered under the non-binding bid policy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:07:01 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

oldfart

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 07:45:15 PM »
That's the one .......ALL THE RULES   

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 07:49:27 PM »
does any body remember the guy who ebay.d the aero plane and it sold under value or something  and he reneged on the deal, ebay took him to court and he was made to hand it over ,for some thing like 50 to 100 k under value

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 08:30:42 PM »
I have a lot of customers in Australia and I charge the actual mailing fee's only.  It cost enough
already to get parts down to you guy's!  I know that nothing makes a customer more angry than to
add on "handling" charges and the like.  It does me too!   I usually give the customer the actual
mailing weight and then direct them to the USPS mailing rate website, so they can see exactly
what they are getting charged.   http://postcalc.usps.gov/

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
As a seller , i find it hard to get postage right on a consistent basis. The problem with heavier packages is the weight and dimensions are a factor . I gave a postage fee based on the dimensions as well as weight which came to $44 approx. The lady behind the counter (she must have wanted me) just went on weight which always comes out cheaper. I will have to reimburse the buyer if not just for honesty sake, but if i had of missed it seeing as i was posting a half a dozen items at once, he would spew if he saw it was only $16 actual postage. Thats a huge difference.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 11:47:29 PM »

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

serve them one right back , I say
Best is in the West !!

Doc

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »
Brad the dimensions only come into play 'if' the item can be acuratley measured as a cubic measurement. If it can't be measured acurately then they can't charge you for space the item isn't using. Therefor don't place mudgaurds, tanks or exhaust pipes in boxes but instead wrap them as a weird shape and you pay for the weight only. Boxes are a no no if you want the cheap postage on larger items ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 03:05:26 PM by Doc »

Quicksilver

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »
 ::). Some ebay buyers are never happy.  :o. They want to only pay with PayPal regardless of the fees and long wait for the seller to get the money into their hands. Only want to pay exact postage to the last cent. Never happy no matter what.
Then on flip side 95% of buyers pay how seller wants to paid without a worry, understand post can vary as much of $5 either way ( A lot of my buyers paid me less then it really cost ) Most ebay buyers are good. Some are total f*&%wits wanting all their way.
All buyers would up shit creek without sellers. Might pay to remember that. ;D ;)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 07:41:24 PM »
and the reverse applies also - 99% of ebay sellers are great others not so................and without buyers look what happens to the global economy!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 08:58:16 PM »
Fair comments Quicky.
I've sold a bit of stuff lately, and made a bit of a sales point about sending stuff quickly. Everything went in the post the day after I was paid - many went the same day.
Still only got four-and-a-bit stars for postage time...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 09:06:51 PM »
No one is ever happy with Aust Post ,doesn't matter if its a hair pin or an axle.  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »
I should be careful here, 'cause the last time I praised AustPost, my entry went missing (turned up back at my place a forthnight after the event, for some inexplicable reason) BUT...

...despite being everyone's favourite whipping boy, I've found that AusPost is cheap, simple and reliable. And remarkably fast.

"It got lost in the post" is just an excuse for the seller being useless/lazy/greedy, 99.9% of the time. If AusPost was really responsible for losing even a tenth of the things they're blamed for losing, then they'd have had about thirty Royal Commissions by now...

I use either of two post offices (the one near home, and the one near work), and the staff are generally pleasant and friendly at both - the only hint of an exception to that is the sour faced old lady at the Belco PO, but you'd never call her rude or unprofessional.