Author Topic: Custom Billet triple clamps  (Read 13654 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Billet triple clamps
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:15 pm »
OK 6061 will be an extrusion of set dimensions in 6m lengths Capral has 6060 T6 which is basicaly the same thing, you can purchase by the metre. There are programs which will generate G Code no problems a set of triples isn't a complex job by any means, your .STL and .Step files define the boundries in 3D.Programs like Toolpath generate code from the file as well as doing  'virtual machining' . By having as much done for the CNC place as possible turns a PITA one off into a cream cashie. You could also find someone with a band saw and get them to cut the profile out after you get  the bores interpolated out of a square extrusion.
I would expect that using 2D dxf having the bores and profiles* cut by water jet would be say <$250 tops CNC a bit dearer.I've used 5083 for triples before and it's fine.How would you know what grade ali has been used in those ebay trees anyway ???

Walter find out what Bit Torrens is and then you'll have your answer ;D

*Depends on complexity

Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 07:49:08 am »
As much as I'm interested in the complexities of CNC machining and as much as I love trick parts, Why do we need to modernise our vintage bikes by using billet this and unobtainium that? It just seems so pointless.
Andy Caldecott was absolutely unbeatable on a bog stocK TM400 and he did it by achieving perfect fitness and developing his riding ability to the nth degree, not turning his bike into a blinged up hot rod.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:51:29 am by firko »

YSS

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 08:11:25 am »
Yes , but.. We did build special shocks for him , but he always insisted that they do not stand out and hade to be in the spirit of the era. I agree , now way ever would he have wanted billett clamps or modified reedblocks . ( not even anodised valve caps  :D)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:31 am »
Each to their own innit though, I think it's pointless spending a lot of time and even more money chasing some period bling when you could have one made/make your own or adapted a later part for a fraction of the cost, and overlook booking into a riding school? Look no further than  the bidding frenzy a GEM reed block or a Webco/DG head for a CR125 attracts.Does it really matter if an item is CAD drawn and CNC machined? Why modernise ? Well why spend half a day trying to kick start a Maico with points when you can run a PVL, why have the shit pounded out of you when you can actually enjoy a ride on plush modern suspension on grip from modern tyres.
Andy Caldecot was an international level rider not the best example to use when comparing results after all motorcycle racing was,is and always will be 80% rider 20% bike.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50:47 am »
i agree 100% with you firko and the purpose is not to fit clamps to go fast or make a old bike look modern. if onwers didnt make billet clamps themselves (yes im sure some did, even back then) and if works bikes didnt have them and if you couldnt buy aftermarket ones off the shelf back then i wouldnt do it as it would be totally out of place and modern. But the truth is the answer is yes to all 3 of those statements so i have no hesitatations of whether or not its is period or out of place for me. if they were annodized pink or purple then yes i would say its not in the period.
for me. I would feel a lot more uncomfortable with a set of modern shocks on my bike than a set of machined triple clamps, but no one ever questions or worries about modern shocks.

the way i see it CNC just speeds up the whole process rather than doing it all by hand, with 1970's/1980's machinery/tools

just looking here and they use 7075 http://www.backinthedaymx.com/billet.html

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:56:50 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 06:54:47 pm »
G`day Gents,
                   been reading this topic with interest in regards to the machining of these triple clamps and other parts. Yes CNC machines are quicker than your normal hand operated machines and yes you can achieve all sorts of shapes and sizes that you may require, even the programming isn`t the most time consuming part of the job, the time consuming part is the holding or clamping of the part you wish to make to the bed of the CNC.

This holding of the job often takes more time to figure out than the maching process altogether, the fixtures you need to hold a triple clamp needs to be very accurate and has many set ups involved. Alloy plate can be obtained fairly easily so don`t let that put you off, and as for the drawing side of things i normally prefer a sample part for measurements and a sketch as to your design you want then everybody is on the same wavelength.   Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 07:27:36 pm »
i started on the drawings/measurements today, then i will send to a friend to do in CAD. what format do you require Peter?

one other thing, is it better to make the handle bar mounts as separate bolt on parts  eg like the old Fox factory clamps or have them machined out of the one whole top clamp (so they are permanatly on the top clamps as one complete part) which would require a much bigger/thicker piece of alloy to start off with
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:48:20 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:38 pm »
If you just send me a copy of your sketch/drawing with the measurements this will be enough to quote the part from and if you want to go ahead with the job i would draw this up in the software that i use and build up a program from there. Material type to be specified also.

Seperate bar mounts would be a lot easier to machine and this way you could incorporate different positions for the bar mounts on the triple clamp. Peter.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:29:24 pm by Billet YZ »
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 10:28:31 pm »
ok will see how i go. thanks

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 10:31:46 am »

I don't think that would be a good design for triples Lozza. Having the slot for the clamp inboard means that the amount of material holding the fork leg to the centre pivot is halved, making a weak point.
Not good for jumps or heavy braking.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 10:35:29 am »
i dont know why rear shocks are not classed as major components???? they are the main items that make most of the difference on old bikes and many look way more out of place than a set of billet clamps but thats just my opinion.

This seems to get brought up a lot as a form of argument, but quite simply rear shocks wear out, triples rarely do. If we made everyone use original shocks then vintage racing would never have got off the ground.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 11:00:56 am »
OK 6061 will be an extrusion of set dimensions in 6m lengths Capral has 6060 T6 which is basicaly the same thing, you can purchase by the metre.

6060 & 6061 are not even close to the same thing. Only one digit difference in code name but vastly different in spec.

6060 would be perfect for making your billet curtain rails but not much else. :o

6061 is hard to find in extrusions in this country but is easily available in plate form.
The alloy places that supply it will usually cut a piece of plate to your size