Author Topic: Food for thought.  (Read 2402 times)

firko

Food for thought.
« on: December 17, 2008, 08:50:56 am »
 "The Times,they are 'a Changin' ". I knew that things were moving a little quickly but..............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Food for thought.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:01:19 am »
its just awsome  ,would you like to come back for a look in say 50 years   . the mind boogles  8)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:05:51 am »
Yep sure is pretty amazing stuff.Planet might burn out sooner than expected.
The kids learnt this at high school this year in YR 10 .Glad mine knows how to chop wood/wash dish's and pull down a motor.Practical things  ;D
Should be plenty of technical jobs around for the future.
I Robot  :o
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 11:19:48 am »
its funny you no...i seen that at my kids school presentation awards last nite and it really is amazing.... :)

firko

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:24 am »
Being a baby boomer I can remember life before Television. In 1956 my mum won a TV in a contest before the first telecast and have total recall of all of the rellys and neighbours coming to our place to watch the grand opening of TV.
I can remember life prior to Shopping Malls and recall being blown away by Sydneys first mall, Roselands when it opened in the early 60's. I can even remember when Flemings,Maroubras first supermarket opened in the late 50's. My mum had never seen anything so amazing and she's still adicted today at the age of 89.

I can remember when we had to go next door to Mrs Suttons place to make a phonecall as they were the only folks in the street with one. There was a red phone booth on nearly every other corner though if she wasn't home!  BTW, Have you noticed that phone booths are fast disapearing from the landscape? I can remember using my bosses car phone in 1977 and finding that it was a major drama to make a call. You had to park on top of a hill, phone an operator to transfer you then maybe, just maybe you may have got a crackly, distant sounding phonecall through. Seeing 70's TV prIvate eyes talking on their car phones while driving along was bullshit as I found out. That technology didn't happen until the early 80's.
I can remember when cars didn't have automatic transmissions. My dad bought a new EK wagon with a new fangled Hydramatic trans and it was so awful he only owned that car three months, trading it for a R type Valiant manual. I remember cars before air conditioning, disc brakes, and even radios. Now all of those things are a given, even in the most basic model.

I can remember when the album cover was almost as important piece of art as the vinyl record it contained. I can remember walking into Tower Records in Hollywood, California in 1982 and not seeing single vinyl album. It was the first CD only shop and it freaked me out. Now CDs are old school. I can remember life before computers where your knowledge was gained from reading books. I always maintained that I wouldn't become a "child of the computer age" and didn't see the need to own a computer. Back then I used to type my magazine pieces on paper using an Olivetti typewriter (still own it) and send them in by Australia Post. Then in the early 90's GE asked me to send my stuff in on floppy disc so I used to go to a typing service and ask them to transpose it to disc. I'd then snail mail it in to ADB. I can remember a time before emails, when if you wanted to communicate with someone, you'd ring them or write them a letter via snail mail.

I could go on infinitely but you get my drift. Without really thinking about I've lived through some of the most important and accelerated social and technological change in history. Like Paul earlier said, it'd be cool to be a witness to what life will be like in another 50 years.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:02:51 pm by firko »

mx250

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 11:55:55 am »
its just awsome  ,would you like to come back for a look in say 50 years   . the mind boogles  8)

"In the year 2525, if man is still alive
If woman can survive......"
::) ;D.

Sometimes I'm pleased to be old ;D.

But I feel guilty about the probs we leave for our kids :-[.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:56:24 am »
What does it all mean??? Who cares? honestly nobody !  We all are only about our own body and whether it is breathing and doing what we personally believe is right for us ,...you and everybody else cannot stop time.. even the shit that thinks the thought and does the act that finally destroys the planet , does not stop time .

Look am I wrong???
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:53:05 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

mx250

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 12:04:35 pm »
Being a baby boomer I can remember life before Television. In 1956 my mum won a TV in a contest before the first telecast and have total recall of all of the rellys and neighbours coming to our place to watch the grand opening of TV.
I can remember life prior to Shopping Malls and recall being blown away by Sydneys first mall, Roselands when it opened in the early 60's. I can even remember when Flemings,Maroubras first supermarket opened in the late 50's. My mum had never seen anything so amazing and she's still adicted today at the age of 89.

I can remember when we had to go next door to Mrs Sutons place to make a phonecall as they were the only folks in the street with one. There was a red phone booth on nearly every other corner. Have you noticed that phone booths are fast disapearing? I can remember using my bosses car phone in 1977 and it was a major deal to make a call. You had to park on top of a hill, phone an operator and maybe, just maybe you may have got a crackly phonecall through. Seeing 70's TV prIvate eyes talking on their car phones while driving along was bullshit. It didn't happen until the early 80's.
I can remember when cars didn't have automatic transmissions. My dad bought a new EK wagon with a new fangled Hydramatic trans and it was so awful he only owned that car three months, trading it for a R type Valiant manual. I remember cars before air conditioning, disc brakes, and even radios.

I can remember when the album cover was almost as important piece of art as the vinyl record it contained. I can remember walking into Tower Records in Hollywood, California in 1982 and not seeing single vinyl album. It was the first CD only shop and it freaked me out. Now CDs are old school. I can remember life before computers where your knowledge was gained from reading books. I always maintained that I wouldn't become a "child of the computer age" and didn't see the need to own a computer. Back then I used to type my magazine pieces on paper using an Olivetti typewriter (still own it) and send them in by Australia Post. Then in the early 90's GE asked me to send my stuff in on floppy disc so I used to go to a typing service and ask them to transpose it to disc. I'd then snail mail it in to ADB. I can remember a time before emails, when if you wanted to communicate with someone, you'd ring them or write them a letter via snail mail.

I could go on infinitely but you get my drift. Without really thinking about I've lived through some of the most important and accelerated social and technological change in history. Like Paul earlier said, it'd be cool to be a witness to what life will be like in another 50 years.

Gees Firko that just plain sad and lame. The only thing sadder or lamer is I had similar experiences and remember the same things ::) ;D.

But we weren't so lucky, our Mum didn't win a TV set. We had to sit on the floor down at the Electrical Appliance shop to watch TV. And The Mickey Mouse Show came on after the shop closed. We had to watch Mickey Mouse without sound through the shop front window ::) :P :-[

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:18:10 pm »
But we weren't so lucky, our Mum didn't win a TV set. We had to sit on the floor down at the Electrical Appliance shop to watch TV. And  The Mickey Mouse Show came on after the shop closed. We had to watch Mickey Mouse without sound through the shop front window Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed

Now thats sad  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(   did ya get a lemon sherbit fizz to suck on ?

Firko some of these things you write of are still happening in the country  ;)  ;D

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=847.0
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 12:52:21 pm »
But we weren't so lucky, our Mum didn't win a TV set. We had to sit on the floor down at the Electrical Appliance shop to watch TV. And  The Mickey Mouse Show came on after the shop closed. We had to watch Mickey Mouse without sound through the shop front window Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed

Now thats sad  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(   did ya get a lemon sherbit fizz to suck on ?

Firko some of these things you write of are still happening in the country  ;)  ;D

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=847.0
Hey, I wasn't the only one, half the school was there ;D.

Ah, The Good Old Days 8) ::).

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 01:31:12 pm »
Yeah just another bunch of meaningless statistics.

What about world hunger, war, child abuse, poverty, greed and injustice [need I go one]. We should be working on things that really matter rather than worrying what we did before Google, the internet, iPods etc. It is simply life with different wrapping - it is certainly not fundamentally better than what it replaces.

The funny thing is we can instantly go anywhere we want on Google Earth and yet we seem unable to look beyond our selfishness and help others or our humble planet.

It's all a bit sad really

Not trying to bring anybody down [thanks Neil], but there are things out there that really matter [and that stuff isn't it]!
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 01:53:06 pm »
in reply too VMX42.
We talk more of fuel prices than sexual abuse towards our kids.......dobe a pedophile in today and do a good deed for our future generations.  :)
Best is in the West !!

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 09:39:42 am »
An excellent post Mark and one that certainly has me in awe at what my little boy will experience in the next 50 years! The globalisation factor cannot be overestimated. The world is now fast becoming a single place, compared to OZ in the 1950's. At four, he takes it as normal to cross the world at least once a year. It's normal to communicate via video in real time with people in Europe. It's normal to find information instantly. It's normal that almost all of the kids know three languages. It's normal to contemplate space travel. It's normal to have medicines, hospitals and doctors available.

When I was small, polio and TB were still haunting people who lived around me, the family up the road had a (British) car and we all walked the miles to the shops rather than try to find the sixpence for the bus. The Japs were stamping "Made in Usa" upon all their cheap little electronics and Hi-Fi meant laying under the bedclothes with the crystal radio and ear plug firmly in place. The red 'phone box was an object of fascination that we would sit beside and watch people use.

What does all this rapid change, speed and ease of communications and globalisation mean to the thinking and understanding for the coming generation of Australians? A good thing. The Australia of today will be as distant as that Australia of our childhood is. For the kids today it is amazing and exhilerating!