Author Topic: Japs might be sucking up all the vintage bikes soon :O)  (Read 6214 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Japs might be sucking up all the vintage bikes soon :O)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 08:42:14 am »
In Japan at the moment you can buy any amount of reimported bikes that were bought back and now people have got too old or lost interest. The VMX scene here will always be very small as most Japanese have no interest, but remember with 128 million people even a minority sport would seem big. Normally the Japanese can't repair too much themselves so they rely on buying the best bike they can find ......often through a dealer from another country.

I just bought reimport reasonably good MX250 for $500 that they couldn't get to run properly. :D So keep sending them over..
formerly Marc.com

OSSA PHANTOM

Re: Japs might be sucking up all the vintage bikes soon :O)
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 08:39:54 pm »
Marc,
 You are correct, they can't fix much, the dealers won't even overhaul a carb, they will just swap it out with a new one. Vintage to the Japanese is ten year old. I have a kawasaki estrella 1992 to which I added
some BSA and Enfield bits, the Japanese think it is some kind of brit or Italian ride. What makes it worse is that the Estrella has been in production since 91. The motor would be a good swap project except it
has no kick start.