Author Topic: fork braces  (Read 2047 times)

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
fork braces
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:59 pm »
Looking at an old VMX mag and saw a Can Am Sonic with a front fork brace.Never seen one on a MX bike before.Anyone here use one?Does it improve front end handling?

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: fork braces
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »
yes good for long skinny forks but only if they fit properly.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Doc

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:51:30 am »
Shortshift, the braces were a very popular aftermarket item in the early 70's even with minimal travel and made by many companies such as Circle F and R/T Industries. They do stiffen up the front and reduce the flex and they were a good thing especially popular in the dirt track scene. They are making a return these days and are becoming very popular again for late models. Most motards have a brace fitted these days either at the factory or aftermarket ;)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:02:58 am »
I have fitted a brace to one of my bikes and it did make a huge difference to the rigidity of the front end (of the bike!). Picked it up new off ebay and only required drilling the brace to fit. Luckily the Betors already had threaded lugs. I think that these types of accessories have been forgotten about as they don't have a big bling value but they are very effective.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Doc

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:41 am »
As it's the heaviest bike I own with a dry weight of 6000lbs and 7000lb thrust with full afterburner application I figured a brace wouldn't be out of place on the '69 TS250 :) ummm :-\ it also has a steering damper too :P need to contain these wild and untamed beasts somehow ::)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:50:08 pm by Doc »

Offline shortshifter

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 04:08:13 pm »
Doc,with that much power isnt the front wheel off the ground most of the time,making a damper and brace redundant?

Doc

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 04:48:09 pm »
well yes and no Shortshifter that's a very sensible comment, you see whilst the front wheel is constantly lofted due to the extreme power under it's mind fuzzing eye blistering accelation it is in the braking and cornering that the brace comes into it's own holding things together, not unlike the chalk in this toothepaste, the rest of the time it's simply a passenger..bit like me really ;D