Author Topic: Scanning Slides  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Scanning Slides
« on: September 15, 2007, 08:31:30 pm »
Anyone got any recommendations about doing this? I have a Canon MP370 scanner, but can't do slides with it. Can you buy an adapter, or is a dedicated scanner the go. I have tracked this one down: OpticFilm 7200

It sounds pretty good...

"The OpticFilm 7200i SE is a 7200 dpi film scanner capable of scanning 35 mm slide and negatives. With a design optimised for slide scanning and a glass-free optical path, Plustek's OpticFilm 7200i easily outperforms flatbed scanners worth several times its price.

The OpticFilm 7200i SE is the perfect scanner for photographers, designers and small office/workshop users.  It offers a variety of possibilities including high quality images for magazines and other printed material, photo enlargements, brochures, web pages and more..."

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: Scanning Slides
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:47:50 pm »
A client of mine  was a Historic photographer and he had a pair of  Nikon  film scanners . looked a bit like this but am unsure of the exact model.

just found his drivers and thats the exact same device  the LS2000

click for specifications

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~martin/docs/ls2000/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 08:55:59 pm by pokey »

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 09:03:37 pm »
I use to use slide film (kodachrome 25 or 64) but we had to send it over to OZ to get it develop. As for scanning slides your way above me. I wouldnt know where to start.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 12:25:19 pm »
We bought an Epson Perfection 1260 years ago because it had a slide & negeative adapter with it.
It's a normal scanner & to do slides you remove the top cover & plug in a small doovalackie that lights up on top of the slide, the slide fits in a removable holder so you can fit them into the same spot each time.
Works good & wasn't that expensive but seems to be slow, maybe I'm just impatient.

My wife Kay is just starting up a MultiMedia business, transfering photo's, slides, negatives & video to DVD, wer'e just trying to fine tune converting standard & super 8 movies to DVD as well.
Can also Photoshop images.
If you would like something sorted you can contact her at [email protected]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:36:01 pm by GMC »
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 12:45:54 pm »
Thanks for the info Geoff. On the matter of burning DVDs, I've just bought a little Sony burner that takes input from pretty much anything, it's brilliant. I'm happily transferring all sorts of stuff to DVD, tho I must admit the intricacies of what format and what quality etc is a bit confusing.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 08:54:37 pm »
My dad just got himself a new slide scanner - he's too tight/poor to replace his film cameras with digital ones, but he is also a photoshop junkie...
I'll find out what it is/what it cost, but it's an impressive bit of gear - he's got a photo of a jumping spider (they're about the size of your small toe-nail) filling a 19" monitor and it looks good.

I dare say he'd be willing to scan your slides/negatives if there's not too many of them? (I'm taking plenty up to get scanned next time... another dozen of so won't make a difference...).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:05:46 pm »
Thanks Nathan, let me know what you find out. As for my slides, I have hundreds... I used to be a photo junkie once upon a time.

firko

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 10:15:39 am »
I'm extremely curious myself as I have literally thousands of slides covering twenty years of vintage motocross and hundreds going back to the late sixties covering everything from drag racing to desert racing in the US. This stuff needs to be converted. I only hope it's not too complicated a process as I'm far from comfortable with new technology.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 06:40:46 am »
I'll report back when I get it happening. I still lean towards the OpticFilm, it's more my price bracket tho the Nikon comes in around the $400 second hand on eBay. Thanks for the tips guys.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 11:57:12 am »

Hey Firko

It sound slike a Whalan slide night is in order, picture this if you will.

Projector set up the front and one of me dad's St Vinies silver screens up the other end among you bikes.
Fellas with drinks in hand along the walls watching, and you giving a running commentary while your darling mum spoils us with snacks!

Better get cracking before we all enter the digital world - or worse still leave it for too long and move into the next world, lol  :o

See you at the back of the pack - Dave Mac
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 01:07:52 pm »
Hi Guys,
An interesting thread, especially if it gets some of those dusty old images out from under the bed and into the big wide world where they can be shared for the enjoyment of all of us.

Just a few tips [after doing this for 25 years I have more than a few, but that is another story].

Firstly, the hardware you buy is only a small part of the process. Yes, you need to get a good scanner with the appropriate resolution [make sure it is true resolution and not interperlated resolution, they are not the same thing]. Make sure the device you choose has a good dynamic range [the more the better] and the ability to scan in 16bit [at least].

You will need a film cleaning kit and some Dust Off [at a minimum, or you will spend more time retouching the dust off you images than you can imagine].

Check the software that comes with the scanner to make sure you can do batch processing. Otherwise you have to do it one at a time which is very slow. The software is very important and another reason why you should shop around as good software will save you heaps of time and make the most of the scans you generate.

Once you scan the images, back them up to CD/DVD before you colour correct and retouch them. You can always go back to the original if you bugger something up.

Then you get to the hard bit - colour correction and retouching. Sorry to say but there is no such thing as a scanner that will give you perfect results without some human intervention. And to do a good job colour correcting you will need to calibrate your system from the scanner to monitor to printer. Unfortunately this is where most people go wrong as it costs money to do, or you need a knowledgeable friend [and people who know what they are doing, know that it is unfortunately a complicated process with not many short cuts]. I have to colour correct and retouch every photo that appears in VMX and I can tell you it takes hours and hours.

If we keep the thread going we can share some of this information, but it is a minefield for the uneducated. Nothing beats enthusiasm, but be  aware of what you are getting into. It will take a lot of trial and error and be initially very time consuming.

Good luck and lets see some of the results posted here for all of us to enjoy.
VMX42

When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 01:48:13 pm »
Obviously the pressure of getting another Mag out is over VMX42 & you have time to post again ;D ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 02:56:24 pm »
Hi Geoff,
Good to know you are watching.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 12:01:18 pm »
Just got an email from Deals Direct advertising a slide & negative scanner for $99.00.  Could one of our gurus check it out for those of us who are computer illiterate and also low on cash, to see if it may do the job, given there are probably thousands of slides of the old days which should not just rot away?
The deal ends 31/12/2008, but free shipping ends 01/12/08.
I'm tempted to give it a try, but don't know enough to interpret the specs.
HELP!
www.dealsdirect.com.au

under electronics