Author Topic: Best pre 78 125?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Best pre 78 125?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 08:31:00 am »
because at the end of the day any of the bikes are capable of bringing a trophy home its more the fact is the rider fast enough to do the job?
Right on. It's the wrist that wins a 1-2-5 race!

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 05:18:02 pm »
The S  seems to be a prettier bike but the B sounds like the goods, I have only ever had one Suzuki in my whole life and it was a DUD (1993 DR350), but the dominance of suzuki in the pre 78 era has me hooked, and I think I would roooly rooly like one built up just like this one.. ;D

http://www.vintagefactory.com/1977_suzuki_rm125b.htm

Thats a very Cool B  8) the asasin  8)is building an RM 125B weapon for the nats a lot of development going in , personally i think he should graft a 125S motor into a B roller  ;D either way ill be there to make up the numbers (if im race fit ) or drink piss and tell lies  :)
 Bill is dead right , the rocketship motor is the S motor just keep it nailed and all is good . the only time it will let you down is if you have a tight turn and a up hill ,it will drop its power quicker than a heart beat.
I may yet graft a S motor into my B project if the B motor does not come up to the same explosive power as the S. I have both so can do side by side tests.I havent tried a S with a reed cage? may be the ticket , anyone tried one?

PS ,.... I am glad no one said the "Montesa"............ because i think I'd rather walk or puke!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 05:21:57 pm »
At least you can spell it now. I've done the community a service.....

Well, You must be proud of your community changing acheivement.

Just out of curiosity, do you actually ride?

I presume your refering to me here?, so what is your point?, does someone here have to ride to be a part of this forum?, or not have a different opinion than you to be at this forum?

I know for a fact that AJ does not ride because he is under Doctors orders not to, does that mean he can not have an opinion here o' great one?

I am supprised that you did not ask me again ,as you have in the past "what have you done for the sport?"

Well I will answer that, I was involved in the conception of Evolution racing in Australia, I was at the table when Hans Applegren, Chris Cater, Geoff Ballard, Ross King, Laurie Alderton etc Decided to include "Twin Shock" racing at the Thumper Nats for the 1994 season, and was an active member of the Hawkesbury MCC that conceived the Thumper nats which was the very first National Series for what was to become  "Evo class" style racing.

I Also went on to win the 125cc twin shock class three years in a row, and the 300-450cc 4stroke class in 1995.

Not that I need to reveal this to justify my presence to you to be a part of this forum, but it seems your intent on chasing me around the threads to try and belittle me where ever you can, so how about you just leave me alone.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:53:43 pm by E74 »

Doc

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 05:47:06 pm »
c'mon guys, lets not turn this into a slanging match please :( for the record I don't ride much either but it doesn't mean I don't love the old bikes or the era's attached.

Asasin, granted the S does have more explosive power but you have to ride it's rings off to get the best out of it. The main factor I see hampering the S is the 5 speed gearbox and an engine getting near it's working limitations (yes you can get more power but it's all right up top of a razor edged powerband and it is basically last of the old school TM design) The B on the otherhand is open to a lot of mods which raise the power over and beyond an S while still maintaining it's rideabilty and reliability. Maybe a reed setup would help the S down low but you'll lose some of that explosive power up top so it'll be a trade off  :-\ 

here's a little optic at Dodgee's weapon's. He's got the situation in hand by having both! 8)

Photo's courtesy of Barossa Photo's aka TonyT. Pic taken at 07 Nats at Coffs and the RM125S is actually the bike Bill mentioned that faired so well in the all in with a young Adrian McEntyre aboard. Came home 4th overall in the pre'78's albeit with a much lesser rider on it ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:11:56 pm by Doc »

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2008, 08:23:01 pm »
i have never raced a 125 in the past when i was
racing i needed 375cc more cubes 8)
but i raced a rm125b at a club day
took me about 2 laps to get used to it
but i came through and won race :o