Author Topic: bend pitted ty175 forks...:(  (Read 2382 times)

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
bend pitted ty175 forks...:(
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:05:17 pm »
ok so the forks on the bike we are putting back together are bent and will need straightening..which is not too much of a deal but they also have a bit off pitting ..not any where near the seals but its enough to distract from the rest of the work that has been done..how expensive is re-chroming forks..or is there anyone who makes/ sells forks for the older bikes..or is ther another bike with similar inner fork dimentions..that can be used thanks..

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: bend pitted ty175 forks...:(
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:31:19 pm »
If you're around the Brisbane area, send them to RAD Hard Chroming at Railway parade, Corinda. I think they usually charge about $240 to rechrome a pair of forks.

Doc

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 06:28:22 am »
twinrock, there no doubt would be another make/model with similar or the same inners. Just a matter of being able to match them up. So long as the dia is the same and length is the same and they're manufactured by the same manufacturer then chances are they'll fit. Sometimes the inner dia can be an issue but it is surprising what bolts into what if you have the time and parts to compare ;)
example: KX80B/RM80Z/D forks and internals fit my TM125 lowers nicely ;)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:14:00 am »
doc isd that the same for the 125a
MUGEN power

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:12 am »
twinrock, i'm not too sure what diameter TY fork legs are but if they're 34mm units, then early DT tubes should swap over but they will be longer tubes and may require the DT springs/spacers etc.
i've used RAD hardchrome here in brisbane before and found their work very good.
"flat bickie"

Doc

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 09:46:34 am »
I'm all for rechroming and I too would recommend RAD but unfortunately my $ don't quite stretch that far hence I search for alternatives.
Caps, I think from memory the A forks are the same dia as S and M models (I'm having a bad brain day today..it seems to have taken leave of absence without my approval ::)) anyway if this is the case then they're 35mm jobs. Have a look at early to mid 80's DR250. I think these are the same legs including the aircaps as std. Have done about 3 or 4 pairs fitted into models from my TM125 with TM250 front end to Dodgee's RM125S and a few others in between. The length was a little longer from memory but you can always slip a spacer over the damper rod to reduce the length. Spacer/reducer was only about an inch long and made from a perforated tube. Pretty sure you'll find some Kawa and some Yams will run the same or very similar inners and it may simply be a case of popping off your lowers and fitting them to the other inners. It all comes back to time and having some parts available for comparison, unfortunately I don't have that many parts to offer any other alternatives excepting the DR250 inners.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:03:59 pm by Doc »

lms6201

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 06:38:26 am »
the ty 175 forks are only about 26mm from memory , when i had mine i used a pair of nos ag bike uppers in the ty lowers , they are a bit longer ,about 12mm  but the extra fitted above the clamps and  a spring spacer to suit ,