Author Topic: Braces and Collars  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Braces and Collars
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:55:45 pm »
No, this isn't a thread about the fashion preferences of some of our more elder statesmen...  ;)

I know that neck braces have already been covered in another thread, but I specifically wanted to ask about two slightly different items:

Neck collars: Are these simply a poorer version of the neck brace (e.g. Leatts)? Does anyone here use them, and if so what are the impressions? For example the EVS RC1 Race Collar, which sells for around AUD$40.

Shoulder braces: Anyone here using one? For example the EVS SB02 Shoulder Brace, which again retails for around the AUD$40 mark... You can also buy things that look to be more or less the same, except in a fetching shade of beige, from medical supply outlets.

Tex

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Braces and Collars
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:35:58 pm »
I have used a soft collar type when I was karting . they do work .I wonder though with all these braces and collars what bit will break next? :-\ I still wear a open face helmut and Scott mask ! . Gets some funny looks a modern trail rides ;D
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:41:47 pm »
Have either of you worn these with armour? If so, were they restrictive at all? Cyclegod, does the tab/bib part go at the back or front?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »
HI Tex,
I don't think you can compare a Leatt Brace to those old neck donuts.

The Donuts supposedly help reduce the incidence of broken collarbones caused by the bottom edge of the helmet. A spurious claim if you ask me.

There is also the argument that they [the donuts] act as a fulcrum in the event of a crash that impacts directly on your head or neck thereby potentially causing more force on the area, whereas the Leatt brace is designed to both limit the range of movement and distribute loads into your collarbones.

If I was in an accident with potential neck issues I know what I would prefer to be wearing. I would pay the extra money.
If the safety gear exists, use it.
Thanks
VMX42
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 04:29:36 pm by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:58:33 pm »
That is correct buy the best gear you can afford, between being young and into motorbikes and old and into motorbikes I raced Rally cars(a sport similar to sitting infrunt of fire feeding it with $50 bills) I had a big off and my neck is still buggered from it I did not have a brace and the sudden stop and weight of a bell moto 3 ,streched it ( good for looking over things now)But seriously even a donut would have limited the damage and 15 years of cyropractor bills.Buy the best and enjoy your old age.
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:35:30 am »
So are the collars (a.k.a. donuts) designed to protect the neck or collarbone? Or both?

I have heard some vague rumours about Leatt's braces causing broken collarbones, but I guess that's beter than a broken neck!

If this is the case though, I'm not really keen on something that might put extra stress on the collarbone in the event of a minor prang (which thankfully most of them are).

Anyone used a shoulder support, or have their shoulder taped/strapped before riding?

Tex

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:37:51 am »
I just bought a Leatt neck brace and its the most comfortable thing, I couldn't beleive it! I would never ride without it now..

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 08:34:24 pm »
what sort of armour do you wear E74 ?
Does it work OK when you wear both.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:13:31 pm »
what sort of armour do you wear E74 ?
Does it work OK when you wear both.

This was designed for use with a neck brace so I am told, and I beleive it because it worked so well with the neck brace, it is also a great bit of gear!

http://www.acerbis.it/moto/index.php?module=catalog&type=detail&id=1145&cat=7

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:25:38 am »
Looks close enough to the 661, so I'd assume the Leatt would work with that as well.  Thanks.
What about the Alpine star brace - is it a bit dearer ?
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.