Author Topic: What does it mean to you........  (Read 3820 times)

OSSA PHANTOM

Re: What does it mean to you........
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 11:05:05 pm »
  It's something I grew up with, my old man rode and he taught me young how to ride. Money was also tight and he taught how to repair equipment and to take proper care of it. Modern bikes leave me cold, overpriced junk, if they break you can't fix them trackside and most people I know can't use all that suspension. VMX bikes ride and run because of what the owner has put into them. When I ride another person's VMX machine I can tell that the bike has it's own personality but a new Honda or KTM they all feel the same. Owning a VMX also puts me in an  elite group of professionals that rival the SAS and Green
Berets in phyiscal toughness, Many try but few master the technique of straddling a spanish bike and kick starting with their left foot. The mx battlefields of the past are littered with the defeated souls who got the hole shot, stalled the their steed and lost because the had to dismount and kick with their right foot. ;D

P.S. I'm not really handicapped, I'm just in it for the parking.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 12:05:57 am »
I can mess with my old bikes for untold hours and still never get sick of piecing them together. I do however get sick of messing with the same bike hence I keep adding, bit like a jigsaw, once you've done it it's time for another. Every bike has a story and maybe a little history, some were never popular and others were like rectums with everyone having one ::) some start as bare frames and others came in boxes, very few were puchased outright as going concerns and the ones that were I'd purchased new and kept them what seems like forever. The 70's and early 80's for me were gold 8) I can't help but try to keep the feeling alive and this is the most fun way I know how ;)

I'll pay that!

I know I'm repeating a lot of people, but:

1. Taking "junk", and turning it into a rideable bike again. Turning it into a race-worthy bike is even better. There's a whole lot to this: its a statement against consumerism, it's about saving something that was once somebody's pride and joy, knowing that you've preserved a bit of history, and its the simple pleasure of making a seemingly unrelated pile of parts do 'something' useful.
2. Racing something that I've built - proving whether I've done a good job or a bad one.
3. Friends.
4. Racing as hard as you can, but not having any delusions of becoming the next world champ, so the racing is clean.
5. Sensible tracks to race on.
6. Arguing on the internet!  ;D

At 32, I don't have a history of racing/riding the older era bikes when they were new (only the later pre-85 bikes start to push the emotional buttons), but than again, I've owned my DT250 since I was 14, so I do have a history there. 
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:15:35 am »
WOW!
just about everything all you lot have already said and,
we had our practice/AGM at BMCC on sunday just gone and during the practise session a few of us swapped a few bikes around {thanks fella's! you know who you are}, had a go on some later model bikes and some more powerful bikes and it was a real hoot to jump from one to the other and a real eye opener to experience the technology changes when doing so.
another thing i really enjoy is hangin a round the pits and listening/getting involved in all the bullshit banter that goes along with this fine sport of ours.
top stuff!
"flat bickie"

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 08:14:54 am »
reliving your youth again...thats how it is for me.... :)

suzuki43

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 10:42:46 am »
How about living a dream that was not fulfilled as a youth....thats what VMX is to me.
Along with having good times with like minded people.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 11:15:07 am »
"Just living the dream man, just living the dream."- A quote from the "Wedding Crashers" I think. I loved the bikes as a 10 year old kid onwards and haven't stopped. From 74 to 84 was a golden period in our sport- for me anyway; and still is!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 12:01:02 pm »
HI Guys,
You know the part I used to love the most. It happened four times a year, when the postie would deliver that white, padded plastic envelope with the VMX sticker on the front.

The days prior were agony, wondering why others had theirs and the Sydney deliveries always seemed to be last.

I haven't had that same feeling for a few years now, it's not the same when you know whats in the mag beforehand.

Not really complaining, but they were great days.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 12:34:44 pm »
YOU SHOULD BE SCARED TIM FJ1100 MOTOR IS GOING TO FIT IN THE WASP INSTEAD OF 650 YAMAHA YEH 120HP. GOOD POINTS VANDY BUT NONE WANTED TO GET ON THE SIDE! COWARDS