Author Topic: Methanol, what oil to mix with it?  (Read 5245 times)

Offline bigtoe

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Methanol, what oil to mix with it?
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:10:17 pm »
Yep I was silly enough to by a methanol burner, i don't know much about them but people are telling me io mix a bit of oil in the fuel, she's a SL 125 honda, someone told me castrol R , so I bought some castrol R30 racing from the shop but I think its the wrong stuff , it turned the methanol milky white ! may be its engine oil, I don't know . can anyone help me? thanks, Greg

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Methanol, what oil to mix with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 06:15:54 pm »
Penrite do a good castor oil ive use in four strokes. smells nice! comes in 1 liter bottles.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline HL400

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 06:16:18 pm »
Hi Greg if its an SL125 its a 4 stroke and it will have a wet sump, so have a look on the side of the crank case for a dipstik.  so you dont have to mix oil with the petrol.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »
if you want a chep oil option use castrol 4t.but what ever oil you chose to use you must changeit evey ride when using methanol.i have used this in my tt500c slider.
now use castrol edge (old corse 50+) it says on the web page ok to use with methanol but ony once.
you must run a little 2 stroke through the carb and engine when you get home.drain methanol from tank keep in a plastic fuel 10ltr or 20ltr.put 2t in tank run for a short time stop motor drain fuel from tank and carby bowl.if you leave methanol in your alloy tank and carb it will eat away at the surface.remember methanol will attract water .
cheers
jim

Maico31

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:23:47 pm »
R30 is a 2 stroke oil. You don't need to mix oil with the methanol in a 4 stroke and yeah make sure you don't leave methanol in the carby for more than a week, it turns to jelly and blocks up every orifice in the carby.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 07:46:43 pm »
Hi
R30 is ok to mix in with methanol and yes it goes milky,
Shell A has castor oil mix in with it as well as acetone so there should be no need to add extra
although I have been known to add in an extra cap full per tank, helps with upper cylinder lube and
extends bore life as some suggest methanol can wash bores due to volume of fuel,
If you use industrial methanol there will be no oil and you could add about 5% castor  without detriment
and adds to the smell ;D
Noel

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »
Use Shell A methanol and you don't have to worry about adding oil. If you use CSL or similar Methanol I add Castrol R30... if you don't you will probably have trouble with your throttle sticking  especially in cold/wet weather, also a good reason to use a carb with a chrome plated slide
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 03:21:38 pm »
I us Shell M in a two stroke no problems.
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline bigtoe

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 07:57:06 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys, now all I have to do is sort out the jetting before the masters games on saturday !!