Author Topic: Super Hunky ill  (Read 3147 times)

firko

Super Hunky ill
« on: June 30, 2008, 04:59:16 pm »
Regulars of this forum will recall a recent thread regarding Rick Siemans recent prostate cancer relapse. I just spotted this post regarding Hunkys situation on the Cousing Weedy CZ forum and I'm sure they won't mind me posting it here. This bloke is a true legend who's going through hard times. He made many friends when he was here at CD4 and I reckon he could do with a bit of a hand. I'd also like to suggest that it'd be a great idea to start a fund of some sort to get him and Tina back here for CD6 once he recovers from his illness. What do you reckon?

Dear Fellow Weedies, I don't know if you are aware, but our old friend Rick (Super Hunky) Siemen has been facing some serious personal challenges lately. SH recently found out that he has prostate cancer for the second time in two years, and has recently completed Chemo therapy. SH is now waiting to find out if the treatment was successful or not. As you may know, Rick has lived in Baja, Mex. for years, but because of border crime, and the several hour wait to cross the border SH recently had to move back to the US to get his medical treatment. Rick and his wife Tina moved out into the desert of Maricopa, Arizona, however, because Tina had to take a job to help with bills, they have had to move again. This time closer to town, to be near his doctor/hospital, so he could drive himself back and forth. The real estate market being what it is, and due to the moves, Rick lost quite a bit of money that was earmarked for retirement. Stephen Gautreau has been keeping me updated on SH's progress for months and is a personal friend of SH as well as living near SH. A couple of weekends ago Rick's old friend Wes, (who was arrested along with Rick while protesting riding land closure) along with Stephen, and Uncle Bill and several of their AZ VMX friends with trucks and trailers got together to help move SH. SH being extremely weakened due to the chemo therapy was unable to help very much. Stephen said Rick was quite humbled that so many strangers would turn out to help him move. Stephen mentioned to Rick that many in the vintage motorcycle community had heard of SH's medical plight and would like to help, if help would be accepted. SH said he wouldn't be offended or turn down any offers of help. To be clear, Rick receives medical benefits from the US Navy, however he has lost quite a bit of money in the moves, and at his age (pushing 70), and condition (stroke, knee replacement as well as prostrate cancer for the second time) he couldn't really afford to lose that money. For those of you that grew up in the "Golden age of Motocross" such as myself, you may think of Super Hunky as the CZ, and Maico riding older brother that wrote of his adventures. Super Hunky gave us the straight scoop about the newest dirt bikes, which ones were worth the money, and which ones were junk. Rick was on the front line in the legal battle against the BLM and the Sierra Club to preserve riding land. Rick was jailed, and almost bankrupt himself taking on the BLM, fighting to keep the Barstow to Vegas desert race going, for dirt riders everywhere. The reason I'm writing this letter is that the vintage community has always helped out guys in need, and now Rick Siemen needs our help. It is time to give something back to Rick "Super Hunky" Siemen for his 35 plus years of giving to us. There are three ways to help Rick, whichever way you choose, the money goes right to Rick. 1. Go to his website http://www.SuperHunky.com and buy his books, CD's, posters and other collectible items. If you haven't read his book "Monkey Butt" you ought to. If you can afford it, throw in a few extra dollars.2. I know not everybody has a PayPal account, but if you do, a donation can be sent to Rick via https://www.paypal.com/ Simply click on "Send money to your friends and relatives". Enter Rick's email address: [email protected] and follow directions. 3. Mail a donation directly to Rick Siemen. (this is his NEW address) Rick Siemen 36607 West Cosa Blanca St. Maricopa, AZ. 85238 I would appreciate it, if everybody would forward this email to a few friends and get the word out. It's all to help a great guy. Let the spirit of goodwill be your guide. Regards, Rick Salazar 714-209-2582

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hunky ill
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:59:06 pm »
Yep, the man's a living legend; let's keep him that way.
I'll tip in Firko, what do have in mind?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Tony T

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:22 pm »
I was so lucky to be able to spend a couple of days with Rick & Tina after CD4 and I'll have stories to dine out on for years to come because of it.  ;D
I have kept in contact since and I know how hard it is for him to admit that he needs help. But then I reckon anyone who got mixed up with dirt bikes needs help.................  :D
It doesn't have to be an outright charity thing, like Firko says, grab a copy of Monkey Butt. The only book I've ever read more than once............ Or a nice signed copy of Dirt Bike #1. Got me one of those. Seriously cool................  8)
Even got a signed photo of his bare arse for my wife. It still sits over her computer in our office. If I turn around now, I'll see it. That's why I'll keep looking straight forward................  :-\
I know we're all going to drop dead sooner or later, but how comfortable we are in the end really matters. And a guy like Rick that has given so much to our sport deserves to be comfortable no matter how many years he's got left. If you can help in any way, do it now!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:18:46 am »
Money sent.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 08:31:17 pm »
Ditto.

C'mon everyone, Super Hunky is a legend and has undoubtedly provided a great deal of entertainment to us all over the last 30 years.

No donation is too small - I am sure just the recognition of his achievements in a small way, will be very appreciated and give him motiviation to fight on against this current setback.  ;)

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:47:58 pm »
Time to push the SuperHunky plight again. I know things are tight out there but even a lot of $5.00 donations add up. The American health system is,mostly, the user pays model,so ,more money equals better outcomes-" sad but true".. There are plenty of good causes out there all chasing the donation dollar, while in Australia we have people dying on waiting lists, because they cannot afford Private Health Insurance. People,who mostly worked and payed taxes their whole working lives. A stent or bypass was all some of them needed, but without insurance-(HCF-MBF etc), they have to wait-some too long. Not good enough in a Country like ours or Rick's for that matter. I work in a related areas and it stinks- it comes down to dollars,full stop. And the VMX community has another very worthy cause in our half of the world- in NZ, alot of us are probably aware of, the fund raising meet in the N-Island not long back, was a help to those affected, and this one, I believe, still needs our support as a community of like minded people- suzuki43 might have something up those long sleeves-maybe similar to Firko's run down for the Hunky one.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:40:17 pm »
Yep, if there's anyone that we can help out Rick is definitely the man. Money sent.

firko

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 07:45:41 pm »
A couple of us are getting a deal together at the moment that will hopefully create a bit of cash to go Hunkys way. There are a couple of snags as it involves two countries but it's progressing, if a tad slowly. I'll tell you all more once everything is sorted.

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »
Firko  ...do you have the right email address.   As they had it wrong in the original post .
Donation made 2 weeks ago ... and happy to Donate to your deal as well .

firko

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »
I just got this message from Steven Gatreau in the USA. It looks like the old buzzard is good for a few more laps yet.
Great news!

AS of 9:30 this morning, Rick is happy to tell us that his blood test
results indicate that his Prostate Cancer is at a measured level
of .10. According to Rick this is considered almost an undetectable
level. Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers and keeping Rick in
your hearts.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 06:21:12 pm »
Thanks for the update Firko - that's good news!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 10:15:07 am »
 Good Bloke,  good cause.      Money sent.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 08:16:15 pm »
 Good news all round. A buddy of mine had his life go into orbit recently when a routine check revealed he needed his prostate removed without delay. Happily, he has recovered well, and now has a zero reading. Hunky's reading of 0.1 is a ripper, as men over 50 require a reading of less than 3.5. Please guys, get checked !!! It's just a blood test these days, no longer the traditional finger test, ask for a PSA test next time you're visiting your GP, and take the guesswork out of it.... :o
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....