Author Topic: Sealing Fibreglass Tanks.  (Read 2028 times)

mx250

Sealing Fibreglass Tanks.
« on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:49 am »
Is there a sealant such as Kreem that is used or recommended for sealing Fibreglass Tanks.

(I guess another way of putting the same question is, does Kreem type products seal Fibreglass Tanks? ::) or is there something else better?).

The situation is that I have a tank that is about to be resprayed. There is evidence that it has been repaired multiple times in the past (not by me). It has tested fuel proof but I suss the repairs especially if subjected to been sloshed about vigiously during MX.

Any experience/comments/recommendations?

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing Fibreglass Tanks.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 12:14:16 pm »
I'm in the process of sealing a fibreglass tank, using a sealer kit from KBS coatings.  I picked this brand because there are clear instructions on their web site as to sealing a glass tank.  It's a three stage process, I've just completed stage 2, and am waiting for the tank to dry before final sealing.  Check out www.kbs-coatings.com.au
The kit came from the local Kawasaki dealer, cost $54.95.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »

Looking at the site it appears a very similar product as Kreem, intended for sealing metal tanks after rustproofing.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:32:49 pm »
MX250 I would think if you take the tank to a fiberglass place they would reseal it like it came from the factory. I could be wrong its happened before  :-\ .jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:46:49 pm »
for fibreglass tanks i recommend and use Red White and Blue Tank liner kit. it does work and is recommended for fibreglass and metal tanks. comes with detailed instructions and is locally made in Tasmania. i use it all the time and beleive it is one of the best and is user friendly. Ducati owners love the stuff as their old glass tanks dont like the new fuels these days but the liner kit fixes that. wholesaler is Ficeda Accessories - see your local bike shop.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 07:55:36 pm by LWC3077 »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:06:38 am »
just finished 2 tanks today!,hornet/norton roadster(5 so far this month,no not mine,old originals  :D),recommend & use PPC's POR 15 GLASS TANK SEALER,tins got std american tank sealant onit,just marine clean & sealer,don't need the metal prep (obviously ;))follow the instructions to the letter,you can't go wrong!,get onto Rob at PPC in sydney 1-800643 229,tell him mick sent you! :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!