Author Topic: Rechroming Steel Rims  (Read 2183 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Rechroming Steel Rims
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:28:04 pm »
Starting on the YZ50 and 60.  Both have steel rims chromed.  The chrome is starting to blister in places.  Has anyone had rims rechromed and can recommend someone.  Is it worth it ?

Any help greatly appreciated.  At least I don't have to sepnd hours polishing alloy  8)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Rechroming Steel Rims
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 06:36:40 pm »
I have had quite a few sets of steel rims rechromed and never had any problems.  As long as they arn't badly rusted just about any reputable chrome plater can do a good job of them. I can't say I personally know of any one that I can recommend in QLD.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
Thanks Col.  What would I be looking at for a price ??

Can any fellow Queenslanders recommend anybody ?

Thanks

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:42:09 pm »
It depends. You sometimes don’t know till you get them stripped first. If I have a doubtful rim or part I will tell the chromers to ring and let us know if they can not satisfactory chrome the part if it is just too pitted. I usually send parts to the chromers at least every week and have had heaps of rims done before. Chroming is like painting and the finish is only as good as the preparation work beforehand. There are heaps of chromers out there doing shit cheap jobs, and you get what you pay for. You want to go to a chromer who specializes in restoration work and preferably motorcycle parts. 9 times out of 10 you can get rims re-chromed and they will look a lot better than before and depending on the chromer and the make/origin of the rim the re-chrome job will be better than the original chrome, as its not a mass produced fiish as they were from original. But if you have any doubts and you want a perfect finish and are fussy with a few little pit marks then go for a new rim. If you can live with a few odd pit marks then that’s ok as I doubt you will be on your hands and knees inspecting the rim with a magnifying glass. Sometimes its not possible to fill and polish out every little pit. Real cheap chromer will just chuck a thin layer of chrome over the bare metal but the good ones will apply a coat of copper which acts as a filler and then a coat of nickel and then the chrome and the polishing is the first step/and or done after the copper but before nickel. I’ve had people bring in chrome tanks and rims for painting (centers only on rims) and then had the chrome start peeling off. If you pay little money for chrome work expect a cheap job that will probably look crap and possibly peel. Many people have learnt this the hard way.
I use Gold Star Metal Polishers in Adelaide.

Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice Leith.  I always appreciate everything you say and actually try to follow it to the letter (eg how to polish alloy and plastic tank restoration) with great results.  There is no electroplater close to me, so since I have to pack them up and post them I might as well send them to Adelaide.  The difference in postage will be bugger all.
I can live with a few little pits and that's what I think I will get from these rims when thay are redone, they look OK.
When people are getting down on their hands and knees to inspect your resto is the time when you are in a great position to kick them up the arse  ;D ;D ;D
I'm sure I am not the only one that uses your advice, so thank you on their behalf as well.  This forum doesn't only go to Australia either  ;)
I will give them a call and get some idea of a price.
Cheers
T.J.B. 

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:45 pm »
Not a problem. Thanks for the kind words. The rear rim on the BSA GP that is just about done looked really bad and was one of the doubtful ones but once the rim was stripped and given the ok by the chromer we had it done. Its not perfect but its pretty damn good still. The chromers I mentioned are the only one I use now as the other good one I used closed down. Then I had good results with another chromer for about 12 months the work went bad and I found out that the good polishers had moved to another chromers. (Gold Star) and have now used them ever since. They say its hard to keep polishers in that industry as its very dirty and they have to apprieciate what they are working with and have an eye for detail and think of it as their own part they are polishing. It costs anything from $350 to $550 to chrome tank so you know its going to be good.
Anyway if you have trouble contacting them just PM me
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022